Sounds.com by Native Instruments

Interesting to see N.I launch a website offering samples. I thought they might move into some subscription based model after the extra capital they got earlier this year. I would speculate that this is just the beginning for subscriptions and wouldn’t be surprised if they offer the new Komplete as a subscription too.

Currently you get (if in the U.S) unlimited downloads for 9.99 a month. You can download loops and one-shots and since they updated the audio engine in Maschine, I can see some people are going to love the idea of having access to a huge sample libraries that load so easily into Maschine in standalone mode. Interesting that all of the expansion pack libraries are included to.

No anyway, I’m not sure if I’ll take up the subscription as I have an aversion to the things, but some folks are going to be very happy.

Interesting. Sounds like a reasonable deal, no? Depends of course on the subscription terms…

And then you’ll spend all your time sample browsing rather then making music :expressionless:

2 Likes

I was just wondering how much they had to pay for the domain name. There are some pretty cool samples tho, but yeah sometimes I look at the almost full directory of my DT and think about having a clear out. Not sure if I need any more.

4 Likes

This isn’t available in Canada? I can’t think of any reason why it wouldn’t be.

That exact same thought crossed my mind as well!

3 Likes

Not yet, but they say international roll-out will be soon.

Probably not. I have every single Paul nice drum library volume from 1-15. It’s been a year of chopping and resampling on hardware samplers and I’m still on volume 1. @rusty makes a good point, I’ve spent more time making music in the proces rather than organizing samples.

I had a one year beat junkies subscription and spent more time organizing loops than using them.

You can be alright with 24 characters in street fighter but it’s the 1 character you’re good with that matters. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, the sounds.com layout and navigation seems waaaaaay better than Splice. I don’t know. Worth a 9.99 spin? Maybe?

1 Like

Similar to the the Noiiz site developed by Samplephonics
https://www.noiiz.com

1 Like

RE Komplete subscription -

They release an Ultimate update every year generally… if the yearly subscription cost for updates is the same as the upgrade cost for a new version, it would be a no-brainer for me - assuming you keep access to all the stuff you got so far.

Also technically for you finance types, it’s actually beneficial to spread a cost over the year instead of paying up front :slight_smile:

1 Like

I distinctly remember Matt Adell, former Beatport CEO, talking about what is now Sounds.com at the WMC 2011 Beatport panel. He posed the question something along the lines of “how cool would it be to be able to go to a site and buy individual sounds instead of huge sample packs”. Basically like Beatport mini for samples.

Super cool to see the idea come to life. I like that Matt Adell guy…he’s got the stuff.

Of course they will. They paved the way with their Native Access bulls***t.

Yeah. There are different subscription models but if it’s anything like Adobe then we’re in trouble.

1 Like

Adobe had the coolest audio editor known to man then they decided that for the price of a dominion 1 I can use an audio editor per year (exaggeration in numbers). I really hope NI doesn’t do this. I hope they have a model where you can get the ultimate komplete version or piece meal sounds. Sometimes a 10 cent snare is all you need with one sub bass stab for 50 cents.

We should find more out maybe even during NAMM.