Sounds cancelling without reaching 8-voice limit

Hello,

I don’t know if i am missing some info, but as far as i know, the Rytm Mk2 has 8 voice, so it can play up to 8 simultaneous instruments, that’s right ?

But in my case i hear sounds being cancelled without the 8-voice limit reached. In the example of this video, i have exactly 8 pads playing ( 1 2 3 4 9 10 11 12) and the Pad 9 (CH) is not playing on its step 15 ; note that the pad won’t play at this step.

Is this a bug or am i’m wrong ?

Thanks

it’s 8 discrete voices on specific tracks - some of those tracks share a voice - as 9 and 10 do and on step 15 the voice of track 10 is playing and Track 10 trigs take priority over Track 9 trigs - but they only share one bespoke voice circuit - 8 voices on a machine like this is not like it may be on a polyphonic instrument - this is all covered in the first pages of the manual, it’s important to understand the track/voice relationship - it explains the dashed lines connecting track pairs which share a voice - 12 tracks / 8 voices / 4 voices are shared between two tracks - each and every voice is tied to one (or two) tracks - so thoughts of an 8 voice ‘limit’ are not relevant here

1 Like

Thanks for the info (RTFM, shame on me). I could ‘solve’ by use the Pad 5 instead of 9. I really misunderstood the ‘8-voice’ limitation. Anyway it’s kind of disappoint however. Do you think this is somehow annoying ? How do you guys deal with this limitation ?

Nope - doesn’t feel limiting

what is hugely annoying and imho addressable is Elektron’s voice allocation implementation : a parameter lock on the priority track (e.g. 10) will (spuriously) play as a full trig if there’s a full trig on the ‘lesser’ track (e.g. 9) - this throws me all the time as I realtime record parameter changes - maybe it’s intended/tolerable behaviour but I think it’s probably a bad call programmatically or arguably a bug even

but otherwise, it is what it is and the hardwired voice specific circuits seem to be understood by most buyers, try to look at the extra tracks as being a bonus, it could have been an 8 track / 8 voice box - keep in mind how e.g. a real hi-hat works, besides there are ways to partially work around this with samples or maybe sound locks where tracks can utilise similar engines

Eh its a drum machine. It’s not possible to play an open hh at the same time as a closed hh on a real drum kit. I’d find it weird if it didn’t have choke groups. I kinda like the limit in a way as it makes me think more about the relation between the elements as they play.

The bottom two rows are pretty flexible, 6 voices. Between them I’ve always been able to fit in what I need from the synthesis engines. If you’re working with samples only its a bit easier and you can plock samples on one track

The two little lines between the pads show which are pared up

1 Like

I’m slightly confused with the graphic on the device.
It shows each individual / paired track in a consistent way ( in green ) though it might be indicating something I’m not familiar with which is why it’s like the device markings…

I’m still learning rytm.
Why isn’t it marked like my mock-up ?

1 Like

It’s because the [] groups share the same types of machines.

1 Like

Ah ok … thought it might be something I’m not very familiar with…
Thanks