Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK (multitrack usb mixer)

Janaury is the latest date I got from the supplier.

After looking over this mixer again, Iā€™m puzzled how the aux send/returns work.
I dont see any return inputs?
So how are the sends intended to work?

The stereo or mono input channels can be used for returns.

The are yet to be released. End of january they say, but I wouldnt trust it.

I am beginning to have my doubts, can someone help me straight things out here.

I am fine with using the built in effects as master effects, but I would like to use a hardware compressor like fmr rnc 1773 for creating the pumping sidechain effect. Would that be possible on this mixer that do nit have any return channels? Or would I have to use two mono channels to get that job done. External effects would then occupy a lot of the 12 channelsā€¦ Not much for normal input then. Or am i missig something here?

Neither the RNC nor RNLA will give you the ā€œpumping sidechain effectā€.
These compressors do not use a KEY INPUT side chain which is required for the effect you seek. They use a TRS insert FX LOOP side chain which is very different.

Maybe go back and read the thread you already started on the subject a couple weeks ago, where I already addressed it.

[quote="ā€œAdamJayā€"]

These compressors do not use a KEY INPUT side chain which is required for the effect you seek. They use a TRS insert FX LOOP side chain which is very different.

Maybe go back and read the thread you already started on the subject a couple weeks ago, where I already addressed it.
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/add-a-bit-of-pumping-to-the-mix/16430[/quote]
Thanks for answering both here and in the other thread. I really appreciate your active role here! I really feel lost here but I need a mixer and I do not want to make a mistake buying the wrong one. I dont want to realize after a couple of weeks that I put those 500-1000 euros on the wrong mixer.
AdamJay, what kind of compressor do you recommend then? Please name a couple of compressors that one could get 2nd hand that use KEY INPUT as you mention. Would help a lot, thanks!

Alesis 3630 compressor. Sucks for regular compression use but one of the better compressor for the ā€œpumpingā€ effect. Itā€™s little old but you can get on in a descent condition for around $80
used.

Good advice thanks! Any alternatives to that one? cheers!

[quote="ā€œAdamJayā€"]

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/add-a-bit-of-pumping-to-the-mix/16430[/quote]
i own both compressors - the RNC & RNLA. while i am with you on the RNC (which is in my opinion a very good & subtle main bus compressor - especcially in super soft mode or whats it called), i managed to get some very good ā€œpumpingā€ sidechaining effects with the RNLA. i dont have any other hardware compressor to compare though, but it did the job quite well for my taste. much more easier to use than ARā€™s compressor imho - if you managed to set up the send/return stuff with your mixer (remember some trouble with finding the right insert cable, ended using one end of a TSR cable only half way inserted).

You shouldnā€™t spend more than $50 on a 3630, and even then thatā€™s on the high end.

You shouldnā€™t spend more than $50 on a 3630, and even then thatā€™s on the high end. [/quote]
Yeh it sucks as a regular compressor but it is one of the best ā€œpumpingā€ effect compressors around. Thereā€™s a reason why so many (Daft Punk) used it in the 90s just for that purpose.

I donā€™t do much music that requires that kind of effect anymore but I still kept mine around.
Not sure what itā€™s selling for now but going prices for a one in good condition was around $80 few years back.

I bought a Soundcraft Signature 12 as the MTK were not in stock yet. I returned it within three days. Poor eq, noise on the effects section. Only briefly tested the 2 channel soundcard. Nothing special. A not so hot mixer experience to be honest. Then I bought a second hand A&H MixWizard 3 12:2. Now that is a great mixer! Wish I could get a cheap quality mixer, with a good soundcard. Butā€¦

1 Like

Sorry to hear that.
Hopefully those issues will be addressed in the MTK edition, although I personally donā€™t anticipate using the built-in effects much, as the whole point of getting this or the KMix as an upgrade over my Mackie VLZ is to have more than 1 send bus so I can have more flexibility for using my hardware effects devices, as well as incorporating the more creative FX apps in my iPad.

Are those promoted ā€œSapphyreā€ EQs not good??

Yeah, that review has got me wondering.
Never owned anything Soundcraft, but I do know the Allen Heath stuff sounds really nice to me.
hmmm.

This was the Signature 12 that seemed slightly below what I wanted from a smallish studio mixer. I presume it is very similar to the MTKā€¦ I wasnā€™t crazy about the sound nor feel of the EQ. But the hum I had from the effects section was the worst aspect. I donā€™t know if my unit was defective. Although I asked Juno, whom I bought it from. I would try it out before buying. The Allen & Heath MixWizard 3 sounds like an Ā£800 mixer. But you can find them cheap, and hardly used. But not so portable as the MTK!

Yikes! Iā€™ve been eyeballing the Signature 16 for a while now but have been waiting to plunge until more user reports and reviews come out. Hopefully your experience with the noise is just an individual defect. Weā€™ll seeā€¦

Any Europeans with experience of this mixer? (Hasnt been released yet in the states).

Iā€™m looking for a small mixer and this would be idealā€¦

The 12MTK is still not available anywhere near me, so havenā€™t been able to test. Bummed to hear that early report, as I was really hoping this one to be on par with A&H and Mackie quality at least. Guess the price point was too good to be true after all?

Been thinking about ditching mixers altogether and just going with my ADAT frontend, as nothing out there really seems to offer everything I want - quality of sound, small form factor, 8 mic pres or direct outs while still costing < 1000ā‚¬

Perhaps those new A&H qu series digital gizmos will become available from evilbay at some pointā€¦

Soundcraft sure screwed this up, didnā€™t they?