Sound quality via USB vs Audio?

The Overbridge USB track routing is a phenomenal development but I’m wondering if there would be a big difference in the analog goodness? I know ultimately tracks will find there way into the digital domaine but would the sound be better going audio out through a Neve into Logic? Or does the USB route maintain that analog warmth?

OB (Rytm) A/D Conversion vs Duet 2

but obviously if you have Neve preamps and high end converters at the ready, use those.

there is a big difference, i don’t like the A4 on usb but analog outputs sounds like a dream

2 Likes

you’ve missed the essence of the query which was only about which (and where) ADCs to use (not whether to use them or to compare audio outs with USB )

should you go digital via the inbuilt ADC or external ADCs, and if you have high spec external gear then that may be a better route, but you’ll not get all the flexibility on offer via overbridge

i use Overbridge , but the audio goes analog , so both worlds . And as far as i read Dsound’s question, it is just that what he asks. "…would the sound be better going audio… that analog warmth
"
Yes there is a big difference , yes you lose the analog warmth.
So i don’t think i missed the point .

2 Likes

The only problem here is that Neve doesn’t keep transients… Their circuits was made to ‘‘mudd’’ them.

In the most musical way possible.
Some of us prefer harmonic richness to transient preservation.

To each their own.

2 Likes

All those hit recordings didn’t seem to mind… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you turn off the Sound Routing via USB or just mute it? I mean the signal then is double or not?

Apart from differences in sound characteristics on the AD way in to DAW, you should also consider MIDI clock drift (sync issues) without Overbridge where you need a dedicated midi clock + more cables.

I use Overbridge as it solves MIDI issues, adds multitrack recording + frees up analog ins on my audio interface. Haven’t really A/B’ed analog TRS vs OB to comment on the sound differences. Maybe its better but is it worth it? I use Antelope converters.

1 Like

agreed!