Sound Quality Drops When Plugged into the Octatrack

with Lundahl transformers, apparently…

1 Like

I no longer have a DT, but it definitely added a bit of sparkle when comparing to the source, not at all unpleasant but not transparent either, I think the summing to mono and auto normalisation are factors as @thoughtstarZ said.

3 Likes

Isn’t the DT/DN sample frequency is 48k while OT is 44.1k?
This means higher cutoff in the analog to digital conversion and slightly more highs.

1 Like

Not necessarily and even if it is the case, unnoticeable. Unless you are 6 years old. It samples transients a bit more accurately. But it’s an incredibly small difference of course and again, probably unnoticeable.

2 Likes

I think when a lot of people say “clearer”, what they are actually refering to is a little bit of top end boost, rather than transparency.

This is the problem with vague terminology, I suppose. A lot of it bears little or no relation to what’s actually going on with the sound.

3 Likes

Normalisation is an option in OT, but maybe a check box for auto-normalisation would be cool.

Information in the very high end of the frequency spectrum, is crucial when determining the position of a soundsource. That’s why rolling of the top end, makes things sound further away.
If the top end information is ‘smeared’, or distorted, the placement of soundsources in the stereofield will be less solid.

1 Like

Cheers

1 Like

How should this work, since the OT can record and play the record buffer at the same time?

3 Likes

I would say only when saving a sample. So, normalisation would be applied (if that auto option was chosen) at the time of saving. Rather than having to do it manually each time in the audio editor.

3 Likes

I’ve got no idea what creamy is supposed to mean in relation to audio but in context it usually seems to be a … good thing? Fuck knows. It’s all vague

1 Like
1 Like

Seriously creamy:

semvcf

1 Like

1 Like

Why did you post the same pic again? I don’t understand…

1 Like

No filter :wink:

4 Likes

I think a lot of people here are worried about the wrong things. Its electronic music, our goal is to mangle up sounds and make new ones. Worrying about (proven) super minuscule details is a great way to not make tracks.

The most interesting part to this thread is (to me) is that @darenager recording was in 16 bit. I have seen other people demoing the OT who also just use it in 16 bit. This frees up a lot of RAM and goes against the commonly repeated advice to switch everything to 24.

1 Like

I mostly always use 16bit - since most of my sampling is from electronic sources with plenty of gain and not huge dynamic range 16bit is plenty, I could probably get away with 12bit TBH. I don’t use tons of tracks, and I also convert samples to mono to free up space if I don’t need stereo (kicks, bass mostly)

Also for sampling from vinyl or cassette tape 16bit is fine, those mediums have much less dynamic range than CD, obviously.

3 Likes

as opposed to the Akaï way where everything is converted in RAM as 32bit so your 2gigs of ram can only store about 700mb of 16bit equivalent samples…

Not sure what you are getting at here?