Sound in maschine

As far as I know there is no way to avoid digitizing your music at some point if you want others to hear it as even vinyl pressing requires a digital master these days.

If you just sample a short burst of an analog oscillator and use that in a sample player, the results will sound more static than the original synth, and when it is pitched to play different notes by the sampler you will lose the character of the synth; It is better to sample a few bars of the music being played by the analog synth.

2 Likes

I largely advert for Driven Drum Machine from Tonebuilder hereā€¦ I have it allā€¦ For me GoldBaby and Tonebuilder are top notch of the Drum Sample makersā€¦ and processing are very nice.

But at some point you want everything from you in the track. I know it can sound stupid especially from me because I came up from Sampler ERA like a lot of you hereā€¦ But, I do feel the century of the Sample as an Art will be not that easy from nowā€¦ for a lot of reasons. it will be more complicated to use Sampleā€¦ I feel like itā€™s not the jungle anymore.

I realize more that when I have a loop I fall in love with. Something truly amazing for me and itā€™s comes from Sharooz but the loop heā€™s done was something resonate me it was something minimal. I put some drums on it and damn it was so groovy. I reach him to get it as separated materials but it was too old and he canā€™t find it. I try to recreate it, separate frequencies, use all sort of modern tools to get something more useful for the construction. And failed to come up with something as good as the Loop in itself.

i was so pissed :stuck_out_tongue: I promise to not use Sample collection anymore. only eventually instruments parts (maybe to pay at some point someone to rebuild the part with its instruments) and obviously Iā€™m not against one-shots.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

When I say better I donā€™t mean objectively better, I just mean many people perceive it to be nicer or warmer. Another thing to take into account is that many people arenā€™t using high end record players, so cheap warped/scratched vinyl, plus mechanical and electrical noise all add different types of distortion which some people perceive to be pleasureable. Vinyl can of course sound high quality given the right conditions though, and I imagine cds would be more accurate

1 Like

Sampling as you intend is an art and also difficult as far as Iā€™m concerned, and thatā€™s why I give an octatrack to me soon :star_struck:

1 Like

Hey, @Stickhit
I donā€™t want to go too deep into the analog/digital debate, and I have no need for other people to share my beliefs about it, and also no need change others opinionsā€¦

That being said, something to point out is that recording/capturing an analog instrument digitally to reproduce it exactly is an entirely different thing than recreating/emulating the actual creation of said sound in the digital domainā€¦

In my humble opinion, I feel that digital recording of sounds created with analog circuitry does an amazingly good job of recreating the sound, but personally I have not heard digital emulations of analog circuitry that sound as good to my ears, again this is just my personal opinionā€¦
One more thing about analog is the subtle nuances/movement/harmonics and other differences that happen with the electricity creating and shaping the sound, a note is slightly different every time you play it. No matter how much they try to emulate this it does not feel the same to me, I find a deeper connection to what I perceive as a ā€œliveā€ source of a sound in the analog realmā€¦

I donā€™t need anyone to believe me or debate this, this is simply how I feel and I thought those points might be something to consider for Stickhit whether in the end his opinion aligns with mine or notā€¦

1 Like

Personally I would love to see some new digital synthesis methods be created that have nothing to do with emulating analog circuits. Digital is another realm, I feel like new crazy things could happen if programmers abandoned the thoughts of basing the synthesis on hardware and instead cracked things open to what else is possibleā€¦
Maybe thereā€™s some new stuff out there, there must be people working at it least, I donā€™t know, I donā€™t keep up with a lot of thingsā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Plus,

As itā€™s only a matter of Taste, Satisfaction and getting things doneā€¦
Thereā€™s so many ways now and accessible to very small budget. I do think itā€™s open up the whole thing for everyone with some ideas which is nice. People need to be patient too getting some tracks done, getting some gigs, eventā€¦ more money and if itā€™s really the wish, spend more in more luxury equipment, instruments ā€¦ (or notā€¦)

We, as musicians of all sort, must not debate on those things.
I know we all have expectations and many by principle are or want to be craftsmen of audioā€¦ I canā€™t be agree more on that. But any guitarist start with absolutely not the guitar of his dream.

I think itā€™s a good way to see all of that.
Everyoneā€™s Music can get better with timeā€¦ itā€™s a good thing to feel the evolution :wink:

I donā€™t know if they are really new methods but thereā€™s a lot going on thatā€™s not analog modeling.
The hardware monosynth market is extremely focused on analog. And there are many plugins modeling vintage gear.
But there is also a lot of interesting stuff with additive synthesis, physical modeling or granular synthesis. A lot of interesting stuff in ios, and regarding hardware, eurorack! there is a lot going on with digital synthesis methods. and a lot of innovative sample based plugins are out there like alchemy, iris or form.

1 Like

iris is spectralā€¦ I love spectral :slight_smile:

Love that one :
http://www.michaelnorris.info/software/soundmagic-spectral

Love physical (especially Chromaphone 2)
https://www.applied-acoustics.com/chromaphone-2/

Love Granular (too much links on Granularā€¦)

Additive and FM synthesis are a bit more complex to understand.

1 Like

The current hybrids are the best hardware design imo.
Combing the power of digital oscillators with analog filters, vcaā€™s etc works really well.
The real magic of analog comes from within the analog filters, combine this with the infinite possibilities of digital oscillators canā€™t be beaten.

1 Like

one of the main reasons eurorack is so popular

2 Likes

Yep exactly how my euro system is setup.
Not a single analog oscillator in sight :smile:

Hands down best drums. Driven!

1 Like

yeah!

1 Like

I also have no great desire to debate analogue versus digital. As far as I am concerned if somebody likes a certain sound source they have absolutely no requirement to justify why.

I agree that sampling an analogue synth is not the same as modelling an analogue synth. I merely used sampling to illustrate that if you use terms like warm, organic and musical to describe an analog sound then there has to be occasions when you can use the same terms to describe a digitally generated sound.

2 Likes