Sound Design for Adverts

Hello everybody!

I have a good mate from round my way who also lives out in Japan. The past few times we spoke he told me he is currently working on his portfolio for sound design. He has been designing for adverts. He sent me a few bits and my jaw dropped. They were amazing.

I’m all about climbing out from under my rock every now and again and this particularly sparked my interest. I was curious about how he went about making and creating different textures. How did he select the adverts? I didn’t know where to start. I was going to ask for the links to the adverts so I could try and make some tunes for them but that instantly didn’t seem fun. Instead, I went ahead and started searching for adverts. It turned out to be fun. I gave myself sometime after choosing the adverts to focus on one. Watched it a couple of times and got busy with another task (playing sous chef to wife and her wonderful bolognese sauce). Once done, I hit up the corner of the room, switched on my gear, and got down to work. A couple of hours later I churned out this.

PHEW, here is mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCEwryN-XVc

The brand is Stone Island and their project is called Ghost.

Is anybody else interested in sound design for adverts or film? Does anybody use visual aids to help them in creating tracks. I have learned a lot from this project that I started on Saturday afternoon.

“Going out of our comfort zone, we can learn a lot.” is something that is swirling around my head at the moment.

PS. COMPETITION? I was unsure where to put this. If anybody fancies making this into a competition then please change where the thread should be located.

I have an old Japanese cassette I’d happily send to the winner (I’ll exclude myself from entering the competition).

RULES: Use any equipment you have. Don’t think too much. Post and share.

EDIT: I uploaded the original. Sorry.
RE-EDIT: It is now my sound design for the add above
BONUS: Here is the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbfXSRO6Hbo&t=9s

1 Like

I think a competition like this would be a lot of fun & a great learning experience.

Besides the rules you list above… is creating music for a specific advert / project also a rule? If so, is the advert we’re creating music for, the advert that’s listed in your post?

1 Like

Once apon a synth on youtube does a series art2music where he composes something for a specific painting. Worth a look if this method of inspiration interests you.

1 Like

Great!

Guidelines for the advert you design the music for there is none. Why? Because I want it to mean something to you.

I love the Stone Island brand; hence my choice. I’d like to feel and experience an individuals preference. So creativity, no limitations - just the way it should be!

Looking forward to more entries…

Thank you

Makes sense (pick our own advert to make it more special) :blush: Picking the advert ourselves also makes it little easier & more fun. I’ll probably get started this weekend.

I like to challenge myself so I thought I’d be up for the challenge of having someone else pick the advert. At the same time, if I ever were to work towards making money from my music, I would have to be in a pretty tough situation with money to make music I wasn’t feeling & risk damaging the connection I have with music. Music is a huge part of me. For me it’s freedom… it brings me into the now & brings me closer to myself. If making music became stressful & not enjoyable… if it became something other than peace… it would no longer be something I love. Losing that peace & love would suck pretty bad.

1 Like

Super!

That second paragraph really hit home. This happened to me once a year or two ago. The school I work at wanted me to make some music for them… the was there was another guy who was getting overtime but knew zero about modern production and aggressively lead the project. Blind unto himself the errors of his ways, young chap desiring power. It caused me a lot of problems and even when I shared to him how I was feeling he shouted at me. He ended up apologising after the project came to a halt and the dust had settled. From then on I’ve never put myself in a position where music has the chance to become a negative force in my life. Funnily enough, about 2 months ago the HR lady has since asked me to work on some music again for the company. I said “Of course, if I have time.” I’ve not done a single thing about it and even thinking about it makes me slightly anxious. Scissors :scissors: cutting that out of my life right now and forever.

2 Likes

Here is some sound design for a fragrance that I wear every single day: Terre d’Hermès.
A winner of awards from Basenotes and GQ magazine. I love it for its woody tones.

“It is a metaphor for materials, a matrix that speaks of territory as well as matter, earth, and roots.”

Above is a short excerpt from a nice passage found on a website selling the scent, and now, here is the video;