Sound design contest for Wikipedia

Wikipedia is launching a sound design contest: try to synthesize The Sound of All Human Knowledge before October 10th.

4 Likes

That’s a heavy concept, but it should be fun!

Cool concept! Now I just need to work out how to accurately synthesize the sound of a hand eternally slapping a forehead

knowledge

4 Likes

Wikipedia is sitting on hundreds of millions and they can’t afford to hire a professional for their sound logo? Ok

3 Likes

Interesting read, thanks.

I was giving them a free pass simply because it’s such an interesting brief… but yea, pay your creatives!

No!Spec :fist:

It seems they’re after the sound to create the logo with though, rather than comissioning the logo itself - it’s a curious one!

Who are the judges? Are they paid?

Im such a cynic.

So I only just read it properly - they seem to be after a jingle!

This changes everything…

1 Like

According to the FAQ the winner gets $2500 and a trip to a recording studio.

The winner will receive a prize of $2,500 USD and a trip to the recording studio to re-record the sound logo with the assistance of MassiveMusic. Ten finalist candidates will receive limited edition sound logo swag.

You’re allowed to submit multiple entries. I can’t find information on how it’s judged. There are some examples and more information on this page.

Personally I don’t like the antics of the Wiki foundation so I’ll pass but thats personal.

2 Likes

Hey that’s something at least!

And to be fair this isn’t at all aimed at professionals, it seems more like a fun way to involve the community in an idea that the professionals have already conceptualised to a large degree.

That said, dollars to donuts the winner will be Hans Zimmer in a fake beard.

2 Likes