[ Sound Bank ] LOWEND102 (Announcement : DIY Booklet + theory sheets)

@William_WiLD it’s taken me a while to get around to auditioning the new pack, after downloading minutes after initial release! However very impressive work mate.

You should feel proud of yourself.

William_WiLD you are too good to us. :rocket:
I’m busy too much for a proper studying, but looking forward to printing as you say and having it with a coffee by my A4. You bet!
Thank you :sailboat:

Yes i imagine there’s people would like to experiment/study like i do with a full document printed on table. Anyway i continu here to reveal things… it’s don’t change anything and show to people things progress and will comes… Also show an idea of the actual content. The first chapter on Sinewave-SubBass-BassDRUM will finished on Sunday.

After that the second chapter will be BASS, we will cover some classics, so it will be coool because we’re gonna talk about Music Genre too.

2 very important chapter i guess will be :

1. Pairing, Mixing, Altering waveforms to get interesting timbre

2. Using the A4 in Poly mode for Sound Design purpose
    (one finger chords, 2 finger chords, Layering Sound Design… because i approached this topic quickly in the Sound Bank itself…)

When BASS is finished we’ll be at 35% of the Learning Content
Most of it is already written … I can fix my drafts by a second time reading when writing the articles here, it’s more soft for me … and I refine the sounds and templates too to be sure not to have too much fix to make once the document and its files will be online

Thanks for those feedback !

Don’t stop i can eventually refine few things if necessary and please note that those sounds covered in Article are NEW and not inside the Sound Bank…

LOWEND Article 07 : 808 BASS Patch

( Punch, BASS Sound-Design exercise )

Normally you should have your Unison activated in Poly Config and Voice 1 and 2 checked ! if not please go back to Article 3 to see how Poly Config is Set.

Now we’ll learn how to make a 808 Bass
(not a Sub Bass even thought you can play it 1 OCT lower)

For those who don’t want to follow this you can download the patch here. For the others i encourage everyone to make it first, save your version, then upload mine and A/B compare … You should have more or less the same…
DOWNLOAD LINK : https://www.elektronauts.com/files/450

The Exercise

Click on the picture here to zoom it full size

What’s Next ?

1. i deliver and Explain a 808 BASS template, a Starter Template is like an INIT but it will configure all the basics to get started directly. You load the template and you start tweaking you own 808 BASS, the pitch envelope is here, frequency wise filters are in place… there’s only the basics provided it’s yours to take the template and go further with your own taste.

2. i deliver another new sound, i load the 808 BASS template myself, take it further whatever i have in mind regarding what BASS Sound i would like to make. To show you (sort of) the whole process of using a Starter Template based Sound Design … and i hope you will like it as i like this BASS called TKN BASS 01 (What an original name right ? it’s for TekiNovaH = TKN i will always signed my Patch TKN as my own sound signature anyway i will not repeat that ever… just one time so you know what TKN mean)

LOWEND Article 08 : TP-808BASS

( Punch, BASS Starter Template file )

Normally you should have your Unison activated in Poly Config and Voice 1 and 2 checked ! if not please go back to Article 3 to see how Poly Config is Set.

Now we’ll check how the Starter Template file TP-808Bass is crafted !

For those who don’t want to follow this you can download the patch here. For the others i encourage everyone to make it first, save your version, then upload mine and A/B compare … You should have more or less the same…

The Exercise

How to use this Starter Template ?

1. First load it :slight_smile: and try some notes… Octave default sounds OK, it’s sound even better in Octave -1…

2. Then you can want to shape is how the attack oomph react to suit your needs. Meet me in the envelope 2 section of the Analog Four where a pitch envelope is set on both OSC1 and OSC2, beer in mind there you can assign it only to OSC1 if you want to extend the character of the sounds by adding OSC2 in the Sound Design and don’t want that attack part on the OSC2 behavior. To shape the Attack Part play around with the Decay

3. You can also control how much of the Attack Part harmonics is bring into the sound with the Ladder Filter Depth.

4. You can control how the frequencies are boosted with the Multi Mode Filter depending where your sitting default octave or 1 octave lower.

Thats all for the Recipe of this Sound… Normally it’s a Clean sound. You can extend it to a more Loud Sound by bringing the Self-Resonating feature, the second oscillator, Vibrato, PWM, Unison configuration and of course the modulation section LFO

LOWEND Article 09 : TKN_BASS 01

( Punch, BASS Crafted with TP-808BASS Starter Template file )

Try to reproduce it or enjoy the Patch if you like it…

The RECIPE

How to use this Patch ?

The TKN_BASS 01 is in two parts layering… so you can use it as a Tom/Chord Percussive BASS for few notes as well as a LOWEND rollin with the parameter Slide… And removing with P-Locks the Tom/Chord Percussive Part every where you don’t want it as i done here… You can tweak it also to your own taste :slight_smile:

LOWEND Article 10 : BASS DRUM (Introduction)

(Explanations, Tips & Sound-Design)

As we can see on this picture the Kick Drum or Bass Drum is part of the LOWEND just after the SUB range of frequency and as i said in the Sub BASS (Introduction) the 808 Bass Drum can be as low as a Sub frequencies… That’s why it’s so difficult in a track to use a 808 BD with a Sub Bass (Frequencies clashes and need focus & processing) and most people recommend to use a 909 BD instead when really need a Sub BASS.

I will not repeat the frequency range of those Roland famous Bass Drums here i would like to demonstrate visually 2 things. The controls we get on both BD Generator : 808 = LEV + TUN + DECAY and 909 = LEV + TUN + ATTACK + DECAY (Of course these are not the only popular drum machine there are many to quote but the characteristics of these two are kind of simple to understand)
The Anatomy of the Bass Drum, reflected by its waveform show that we have an Impulse/Attack very loud and the sound decrease gradually over time… Also we have a long tail stable corresponding to the Fundamental of the Bass Drum.

When you heard Tune your drums it’s this part who need to match the Key of the Track strictly tuned or harmoniously, therefore all people seem to not be agree on that even if drummers tuned their drums as well as percussionists, that’s a fact.

The middle part between the Impulse/Attack and the Tail, is called the Punch and it’s obtained by the modulation of the Pitch. (By an Envelope or a LFO)

So when discussing about Drum Layering you will see that we will find this idea of ​​3 important parts (or 2) in the construction of percussion with this method of blending separated parts…
Click, Punch and Tail (can be called TONE as well)

When designing a Kick Drum on the Analog Four i recommend to first program a Four to the Floor sequence or a more broken style like hiphop… Set the note to 1/8 (or a bit longer than that). Generally we TUN our oscillator 2 octave down. If you want a clean and deep House Bass Drum it’s best to start with a Sinewave… As we already see that few times before i guess you, now, know exactly how do that… TRIANGLE filtered or Self-Resonating Filter. Of course, we gonna end with a classical BD, for a more Hard BD we start with more harmonics in the waveform, overdrive etc… are some of the key for that kind of BD.

Normally we just need the DECAY on both AMP Envelope and ENV2 (or LFO) assigned to the OSC1, OSC2 or OSCX Pitch to get something working and get the Anatomy of a Bass Drum… Therefore it’s the basics of the recipe ! feel free to explore more advanced shaping with ADSR or LFO !

Both Filters will really help to sculpting original sort of Bass Drums especially like EQing the sound and bringing some part to life… If you analyzed Bass Drum Design on the A4 you will see Filters are usually used the huge way regarding Depth & Envelopes or LFO… And all sort of crazy waveforms altered by LFO even Tracking filters for FM’ish Bass Drums.

Generally we don’t use delay, chorus or reverb on Bass Drum (Keep it clean & mono is a good idea). But you may want to reproduce kind of old-school gated reverb kick… it’s doable by p-locking the reverb in the sequencer…

Last but not least when starting to sound design Bass Drum as i mentioned before i really advise you to design through Spectrum and Oscilloscope, it will help you to handle timing with ADSR because we all know what’s a Bass Drum look like, you can see the Filters shaping and how crazy you gone with Transients or something and maybe adjust when you realize that you have been too far.

Also good start points for the Fundamental of the kick design are A, G, E, C and for the amount of Pitch modulation can be 24 semi-tones or even more (24,36,48) depending of the ADSR/LFO shaping then and FIlters. You can use Fixed oscillators too by deactivate on OSC pages TRK option.

OSC

These are awesome tutorials William. Thank you.

I’ve been away for a few days so I’m slow to respond. Excellent work William. This is a phenomenal amount of your time that you are sharing with us and I totally appreciate what you are doing. I love the presentation. It is clear and easy to follow but offers the challenge and inspiration to get hands dirty and experiment. Very cool!

Thanks @djx it appears that most people wait to print the booklet to get started on the desk which i can perfectly understand that’s the way i prefer too :wink:

i make my best to finish around January/February :slight_smile:

(Edited because I don’t think the booklet will be ready in 2 days.)

Yes thats me…I’ll get the whole book then sit down on couch feet up and start learning with A4 in headphones.

I am in a period where only happens to me is bad news. A received energy bill that I did not expect the rise in any case not in these proportions (300€…) And to top it off, I have two hard drives that have the same names Samsung D3 and T3, I launched a formatting procedure on the bad one !
I tried to unplug the drive to simulate a power failure that happens at the right time. But that did not work. On this 6To disk there is a lot of things (included LOWEND) that I try to recover with Data Rescue. (Stellar Phoenix did not give anything) That’s what I’m in at the moment and why you people do not see / hear me too much right now … (for now software running all night and it’s only at 10 percent so …)

:frowning:

Shit.
That’s really hard, friend !

Ahh man…thats no good…feel for you.

:scream:

Think I’m done with all this crazy TO Hard-Drive… next time I will buy 3 x 2 To instead one 6 To
:frowning:

Disk Drill should work!!

i will try it after Data rescue… But most importantly with this kind of scenario is to recover files by types… I will loose organization of things. That can make the process useless :frowning: Of course it’s good for serials or important things. Therefore for Sample Collection, Tutorials, Work projects … should be more problematic to find from where is who :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes I understand, but Disk Drill is top notch for recovering everything, even on filenames it rocks… Good luck mate!