Sore back while producing at desk. any ideas?

I’m getting a killer sore upper back while producing. I’ve tried a few different office n home chairs but I keep seeming to end up hunching over while writing on my machines n it’s doin a number on mi spine.

anyone else get this n have any ingenious solutions?
thanks.

I’m 6’7 and always had this problem. More at work than studio. Get some plastic coasters and put them under each desk foot if you can. Couple of inches at most. Did me wonders.

Also try and have all your gear within arms reach if your back remains as straight as possible. Can’t eliminate totally but reduce over stretching as much possible.

1 Like

A standing desk? I had a microdiscectomy after back problems and moved to one post-surgery. Never looked back.

4 Likes

I have similar issues but I’m using an old, junky six foot long folding table and cant adjust my desk chari to the right height and it wants to wheel away from the desk so I end up stretching/reaching w/o realizing it until I’m swallowing a handfull of nsaids.

1 Like

A few of those 1.50 ikea laptop stands and a decent spinning chair did the trick for me mostly, failing that have a child, you’ll be forced to take breaks every 20 minutes

1 Like

Haha carrying my kid breaks my back.

I feel your pain. Sounding like an ikea representative here but theyve got these standing desks that are adjustable and pretty cheap, you buy two tressles for 25 quid each and then I think the table top is about £6, not bad for an adjustable desk. That plus the laptop stands should fix your problem. Maybe buy an alarm clock to stick in the desk and set yourself a break every hour or so. You can use the time for critical listening to your work or just taking a break and coming back with fresh ears, I near enough always come back and ammend some glaring mistake with my mix after returning. Also if youve got various keyboards dont always control them from the master, get up and move around. The biggest saviour for me was seriously the chair though, it kind of forces me to sit straight as it doesnt recline

haha I’d take a bad back over havin kids any day :smile:
cool I’ll do a bit of research on standing tables, sounds interesting. I seen my friend has a sort of standing stool type chair in his studio, must ask him about it too.
to ikea at once :slight_smile:

think my core is a bit weak too from lack of exercise recently too. used never get sore when I was doin regular yoga.

Thanks for the suggestions :+1:

I have all my gear just below nipple height, standing up.
Sitting down kills me…

1 Like

I have my stuff on something that means I have to stand to use it. It has made a big difference. Also doing yoga helps!

How about a kneeling chair?
I just got one. Too early to say whether it will help, but they are supposed to be good for posture.

I sit on one of these at work (with a small rolling base underneath it), and it has done wonders for my upper back pain since it forces me to sit with better posture.