SOPHIE's sound design (Digitone or Monomachine?)

Hi, does anyone know where to start recreating the metallic clang/drum sound at round 3 or 4 seconds in Sophie’s Hard on the MonoMachine please ?

Here’s a reminder of what it sounds like

1 Like

Fundamental to every SOPHIE track is an interest in materials, their properties and interactions. She synthesises every sound from scratch, using an Elektron Monomachine and Logic to build up huge libraries of samples. “There always has to be a link between the lyrical ideas and the sound itself,” she says. “A sound will be the initial spark, a very physical response to sound that ties together some of the things I’m thinking about.” The metallic creak in Ponyboy , for example, “was like a mechanical animal of some sort that I was finding sexual,” inspired by thoughts of JG Ballard’s Crash .

Her fascination with the physical properties of latex, metal and silicon (her merchandise has included a dildo-like, but apparently purposeless, silicon “product”) aligns her with the kind of electronic avant-gardists whose track titles riff on maths formulas and chemical elements. “Autechre, particularly, have been my heroes for a very long time,” she says. “There’s something so fundamentally human about their music, and the way that it’s just describing a material world. It’s almost like you’re sticking your hand into a goopy material. Everyone can have some experience of that, it’s a very human thing. You’re literally just responding to materials and emotions through sound. So I don’t think there’s anything geeky about that – it’s really the framing of it that’s made it this exclusive thing.”

The framing of it as ‘intelligent dance music’ made by blokes with machines? “Exactly. Something that I wanted to do with SOPHIE music is to frame the understanding of how people can relate to sound in a human way – in a way that’s not blokey or geeky, and in a way that can live in people’s real lives.

From https://crackmagazine.net/article/long-reads/sophie-earthly-pleasures/

12 Likes

Oh shit, is that also an Akai AX60 too?? I always thought those early EPs with the bassive baselines sounded like AX60 unison mode!

I think it is but afaik* Sophie was using only a Monomachine and laptop at the time of those early records.

*according to interviews

There are some really good sounds there. Any chance you’d share the parameter/how they were created please ?

Just tried to achieve some Sophie’s signature tones with Digitone

If you have Digitone you can download .syx project of this little demo and see how it works. Link in the description of the YouTube video

21 Likes

I have a hard time to like those metallic sounds.
It’s like rubbing old rusty pans together while eating aluminium foil.

But I think you nailed it. It really sounds like Sophie.

4 Likes

Nice

1 Like

Borrowed a real Monomachine for a couple of weeks

15 Likes

I once got similar sounds from the tone. Reminded me of some sort of mechanical “scream” of a wounded machine. Yours is more sterile though, true to the example.

3 Likes

Nice work

1 Like

That’s awesome. The sounds are so close I’d never know if you’d just played the audio to me.

If you still have it would you mind sharing the sysex please ? Like you did with the Digitone.

I’ve learn’t quite a lot from that sysex and I’d love to get those sounds out of my Monomachine.

1 Like

Sure, thanks!

Thank you!

I planned to get .syx out of the MNM, but did not have time to figure out how to do it correctly and already returned the synth to the owner from whom I borrowed it. This old elektron’s snapshot/kit structure is quite confusing for me as a user of the Digi family :new_moon_with_face:

1 Like

Yeah I know what you mean :slight_smile: It is quite different.

Thank you anyway I’ll continue to use you excellent DN sysex to learn and model on the MNM. Which in long run is probably better for my learning :slight_smile:

Recently got a Digitone, was wondering if creating sounds like

and

(The lead btw) were possible, and if so how you would go about creating them? Help would be suuuper appreciated, i’m very new to the Digi, and eager to make these sounds. Thanks! :wink:

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Sophie. rip

@krypt wow I’m surprised I was looking for some insight into wether digitone can produced sounds like sophie (Well MnM, which she uses as we all know), which I was thinking about buying but since I saw ur reply I think it’s possible but still would like to get your opinion and advice as I’m new to this Hyperpop thing and just recently discovered sophie after her death, smh.

After all ur experience with the DT do you think it can produced full fledge tracks and mainly sounds like sophie with a little bit of ableton influence?

And Also 1) can we record out the MIDI arp data out of DT into DAW?
2) can we import waveforms into digitone, I know it does FM synthesis but does it also allow to import user designed waveforms kinda like serum?

I’m eagerly waiting for your reply.

All the best,
Aydin

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a midi arp function in DN, and as of now, there’s no way to import your own waves neither.

Just to make it clear, we usually keep DT for Digitakt, and DN for Digitone :tongue:

2 Likes