Sonic Explosion

Audio Interface reported dead after sonic explosion!

Soundcraft Signature multi channel MTK 12 configuration was set up in my DAW (Reaper) .

Basically opened this routing matrix configuration with a Focusrite Saphire 2 connected for simplicity - BLAM - high pitched screech - big visual disturbance on laptop = FEAR. Managed to close it down depressing power button for a few seconds, attempted to reboot few times - same result.

Focusrite now dead! Strange experience indeed.

Curious why this happened?

High pitched screech … could that have been some feedback loop? Audio --> Saffire --> DAW track --> monitoring on --> Saffire --> audio --> and back into Saffire loop? Could this have overloaded something in the Saffire circuits to cause damage?

But since it’s A/D and D/A conversion I would expect that some safeguard circuits prevent overloading and destruction. Is the Saffire dead an other computers too?

Curious what experts will have to say.

[quote=“SoundRider, post:2, topic:51967”]
igh pitched screech … could that have been some feedback loop? Audio --> Saphire --> DAW track --> monitoring on --> Saphire --> audio --> and back into Saphire loop? Could this have overloaded something in the Saphire circuits to cause damage?

But since it’s A/D and D/A conversion I would expect that some safeguard circuits prevent overloading and destruction. Is the Saphire dead an other computers too?

Curious what experts will have to say.

Basically I was jamming with AK & DSI module with headphones– no connection to a DAW or speakers. I decided to record a track using the sapphire and had not used REAPER since last summer with the Soundcraft mixer.

So when my laptop almost imploded the only connection was to sapphire by USB, no inputs or monitors where connected yet. The signature mixer requires a routing matrix set up with Reaper, Ableton etc.

My suspicion is that might have caused the noise loop. Sapphire not recognised in DAW now, re installed drivers etc. LED lighting though when I press phantom power 

Curious also :slight_smile:

You could check the Saffire with OS functions only. Typically you should be able to select the Saffire in one of your audio-playback apps. Same goes for apps like Skype, which need a microphone. If one of those apps can send or receive audio to/from the Saffire, the unit should be okay and only something in the DAW setup might be confused.

1 Like