"Song mode" Digitakt

I don’t know that it would actually take a lot of energy to dispel. While this is the official elektron forum in not sure how seriously the company uses the forum for feedback especially for feature request, They have a official request email. I wonder if all the people making the noise on the forum have submitted official request or customer service ticket regarding song mode.

1 Like

DT will never have a “song mode”

it’s a budget device w/ budget features.

a very successful product for Elektron.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say never, but actually they have more serious concerns.

Is there a way to do saveable pattern sequences using MIDI loopback and program changes? I just got my DT but that just seems like a way to handle it in a more permanent way.

Has anybody dug into it?

Yes.

This is possible.

Known as “pseudo song mode”.

It works.

But it is not the implementation that everyone wants, though it does accomplish the end. Not everyone agrees with the means.
Many say it is too “fiddly”, though this term is subjective.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Especially on a (relatively, to other Elektrons) budget device.

1 Like

This is the thing where you plug Digitakt’s MIDI out into it’s MIDI in, right?

1 Like

I wanna know more about how this works

yes, but a better way of doing it is to use a MIDI hub that has MIDI filtering. That way you can make sure the DT doesn’t loop back things you don’t want it to.

1 Like

This “pseudo” song mode has been discussed in various topics in the Digitakt category, with one notable creative application in this topic:

2 Likes

I own a Rytm mkII (as well as an A4, MD, and had a DT for awhile).

So how would a guitar player, or drummer, or bassist, change patterns while playing live while their hands are busy?

Especially when you’re also having to manually switch patterns on your DT that has no song mode.

It may be on the cheaper side in the world of Elektron, but it isn’t cheap compared to other drum machines that are out there (or ones the will undoubtedly be released in the near future). Elektron needs to think about future proofing their products.

I’m in total agreement with you. I personally don’t see the need for drum sounds on the A4/A42, but I totally understand that other people will use it for those sounds, and for that purpose. It’s always weird to me when just because a person doesn’t use the tool in that way, they assume that it doesn’t need to exist.

song mode is toast. will never happen on DT. just be thankful with the device you have, and pray that they continue supporting it w/ updated firmware. Many many bugs in 1.07. As for OB, just be thankful it hasn’t been canned (yet). That means there is still a chance OB will be released. Soon it will be April.

I’m not really expecting an actual song mode - just the ability to save pattern chains.

1 Like

So you make a pattern chain, and then what, you save it? and it loads with the project? One chain per project?

1 Like

No drum machine at this price point has the feature set that Digitakt has, period.

1 Like

Hopefully the DT/DN would be able to save a lot of pattern chains (like at least 50-100).

Perhaps not, but that doesn’t mean that someone doesn’t have something in the pipeline. Elektron might have people lining up for the DT at the moment, but if another company comes out with something that’s comparable at a lower price point, more stable, or more features, then Elektron might see a dramatic drop in business. Behringer, Roland, and a few other companies are always a potential danger to Elektron’s bottom line.

1 Like