Song / midi arranging with OT, A4, DT, DN

Interesting, but don’t you loose some sounds variations? (I use a lot of random lfos / trcs)

So you mean you record long arrangements in OT for each machine?

1 Like

Ah yes, probably but I very rarely finish tracks and I feel that if I do 3-4 different variations of a verse bassline, the OT will probably allow me to do some hands-on modulation I hadn’t thought of before committing.

But I also use an old Akai DPS24 for bouncing things along the way so maybe I’m just a bit old and computer-slow (or just mental) :).

2 Likes

I guess I kind of like leaving everything editable until the last available track is used up :slight_smile: But once the main compisition done, the way of resampling, slicing and using modulation to end up with variations and even lift up certain parts of a song through OT definitely sounds like a great approach.

I’m glad that I opened this topic, you guys filled me with ideas :pray:

4 Likes

I agree, like it too but unfortunately I never manage to finish stuff if I don’t commit early on :slight_smile:
Best of luck to you and don’t forget to share experiences - I’m sure we’re many that would love that :thup:

2 Likes

Hey guys! I have another question about octatrack midi and I wanted to ask here since it’s relevant with topic.

I’ve been trying to use octatrack as master in my setup but I’m having certain issues and I’m about to give up. For now I’m using digitakt as master since it seems to me more stable in terms of sending midi messages.

The most bothering thing while using OT as master is stop or double stop doesn’t send “stop” midi message to other gears. It seems more like “pause” instead. When I press stop or double stop, play buttons of DN and A4 are lit. It behaves like a pause signal I guess. The issue here, other gears don’t get pattern / program change immediately on pause, at leasr DT and DN won’t. This may cause editing another pattern without noticing. And also they don’t start from the first step when I press play again on OT again (in sync but missing the first step). I have to press stop manually on each device to reset.

I tried this with DT as master and it works flawlessly. I just wanted to ask if this is intentional or a bug (wouldn’t believe it’s a bug after 10 years of lifespan). I couldn’t find any related option in settings.

1 Like