Sometimes I just feel like getting rid of it all

3 Likes

Oh man funny times
I’m still losing my shit from that poodle shot you put up a while back :joy:

2 Likes

And taking the headphone out of this netbook directly to the mixer :slight_smile:

Be really careful when you buy a DJ case that you pay attention to the weight. I did this exact thing for this exact reason and ended up with something that was so heavy + my gear that it was untransportable. Actually one of my friend’s got an official pioneer case for one of their all-in-ones and that is crazy heavy, so i think it’s just how those flight cases are.

Sorry for the OT reply.

i occasionally experience existential ennui due to finding it difficult to make the Jomox mBase11 sound as amazing as i know it could sound. Maybe a VariMu compressor would help.

1 Like

I’m on my way to work, havent even had coffee… and am dyin :joy::joy::joy: where do you come up with this sht?

1 Like

One tactic I use that I didn’t see anyone else suggest is give yourself musical challenges.

Simplest of which is something like make a track using one bit of gear. Or make a track focussing on a feature of a bit of gear you almost never use. but it could be anything, here are some other suggestions off the top of my head.

Set a repeating timer for 10 minutes - each 10 minutes move to a new, empty pattern, do this for an hour or two and then try to make a track out of the patterns.

Go around the house and sample a bunch of random sounds and make a track just using those samples. (it OT, or DT, or a DAW. whatever.)

Make a track using one sample, or one synth voice. see how much expression you can get out of it.

Randomly choose 2 or 3 notes or chords. just use those.

Make something without drums.

Find an inspiring image (or maybe a random google image search?), write a soundtrack for that image. Could work the same for a random youtube video. Turn off the sound, make your own soundtrack.

Decide on a song title first, and then write a song that expresses that title (idea stolen from songfight.org) Or you could expand on that idea, and write a short poem or story, or take an existing poem and write music for it.

Any old idea that inspires you, really. Anything to get you thinking in a different way, instead of sitting down at that big pile of gear that hasn’t been inspiring you and fall into the same patterns you always do and get discouraged.

Another possibility is (and it’s a PITA) do a re-order of your studio. pull everything out, move the furniture around, put things back in new way.

I think we all get those feelings though. Good luck working through it. <3

5 Likes

I don’t know. Since Avicii passed, and I just saw the documentary about him like the week before he died, I’m having a profound moment here.

I’m really starting to question myself if I’m into
music cause I can, or cause I want to.

1 Like

Because I need to

1 Like

I slowly leave elektronic music
Because the classical music listen to does So much more with me than everything else
Playing the piano and the guitar helps me relax and revolver from my streaming kids
Elektronic music doesnt, it eats my sleep and takes a lot of energy

So music I listen to and play can be found here :

7 Likes

But. Like the fat bald guy said a thousand years ago. “You ain’t free till you give away everything”

3 Likes

Easy to say when you’re a prince, though.

Man, I used to play Satie all the time when I was just dedicated to the piano. Especially the Gymniopedes.

1 Like

I think I’m going to get a Violin, learn how to play it and keep my Machinedrum

5 Likes

I stopped myself of that…,you must recording something…pressure. Now i record when i really want it. Feels deliberating.

a bit of a depressing vibe here, considering we’re talking about the privilige of owning instruments :wink:

2 Likes

TRUE!

Anyway, I’m ¿lucky? to have a job that takes me away from home a lot, so, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

1 Like

Damn straight. You speak the truth, brother.

I like that you’re still hanging on to the 303. Makes me wanna listen to Donuts again.

And by again, I mean for the second time today, cause I listen to it every day. One of the best albums ever made.

3 Likes

Same here … I want to jam mostly too … and I want to have a multitimbral environment if I do …

this comes down to having a couple of different sound engines ready to go, from the 80ies analogue synth to digital performance samplers … a couple of sequencers (stand-alone or part of an instrument) … and my search of ways, to get those boxes playing together as one electronic orchestra, which I am controlling intuitively . I am not there, but one day, I hope, I will.

For me my little studio is also a place for creative meditation, sound laboratory, musical canvas. TBH I also think about having too much, but I want to “paint in many colors” and this takes getting and keeping gear :wink:

1 Like