Sometimes I just feel like getting rid of it all

I’m perfectly happy with my DT, my monologue and my computer. Sometimes I actually remember that I can play guitar and have a voice I can make sounds with. I really feel that all I need is a computer with an audio interface and a microphone. But it’s fun to have something like the DT that doesn’t require a computer. And I get really hot for an OT a couple of times a month.

Well, going software is not an option for me. I tried but just didn’t enjoy it. Just not my thing I guess.

I have definitely been through multiple stages of downsizing though, so I totally understand that. I even got rid of all my samplers, synths, turntables, and production equipment at one point and decided to focus on playing instruments for a few years (guitar and bass).

I’ve come full circle now (back to samplers, synths, studio gear), probably because I finally settled down and bought a place.

I am contemplating pairing things down to just a handful of pieces of gear though. I just don’t have enough time to have lots of gear, it’s just a time suck and makes me unproductive, and like you said, too many cables. I’m close to my ideal gear setup. I just need to tweak things a bit (mostly selling rather than buying).

1 Like

Wow. Never sold or traded. True zen master.

2 Likes

I only bother having hardware these days if it produces unique sounds I can’t create from my DAW and plugins.
It’s awesome, as it is becoming harder and harder for hardware to compete, which means I have been able to sell most my hardware, and have more money in my sky rocket to spend on other things in life

3 Likes

I still have a nord G1 and G2 modular, Peak and eurorack. And push2 if that counts

3 Likes

I have a lot of gear too, but push 2 and maschine Studio w/ MPC 2.2 get it done.

Sometimes it feels so easy composing but isn’t that the point. I just look at my hardware like I’m in the Louvre.

3 Likes

:monkey::sparkles:

4 Likes

Mike are you on the happy herbs again :thinking:

6 Likes

Your research shows. You always tip me off to good stuff. Still love my Mackie mixer.

2 Likes

I’m not even, been three weeks now, maybe that’s what’s up?
I’m down to coffee, mate, and organic tobacco… :slight_smile: :smile:
Been shape shifting daily while sober… :joy: Right now I’m hangin out with a bunch of frogs… :frog::frog:

:dizzy::sparkles:

2 Likes

I want was he’s havin :joy:

1 Like

I probably had more than most of us combined years ago… For realz… For realzybop! :joy:
Now I’m just like this… :smile:

It took quite a lot to realize I didn’t need anything, because you are what you take, and what you take is you, and you are what you need, and what you need is you…

There’s a shortcut in that… :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

I also struggle to maintain ownership of idle gear.
So fewer instruments usually means higher utilization of what’s left.

As for the software/hardware back and forth, my happy in between is in using the OT midi sequencer to sequence Ableton Drumracks, and my Monologue as a midi controller for VSTs and Samples From Mars multisampled instruments. This way the hardware stays in use regardless of where the computer is in the process.

DN stays because it can go to wild places in an instant.

OT, DN, Monologue, an iMac full of great software, and a Clarett 4pre is all I need. That’s easy for me to know.
The hard part is curbing the “wants”.

I think the right amount of gear is the amount you can be comfortable owning, even when you aren’t inspired or productive.

5 Likes

I know the feeling
also:

“this music I’m doing is great” + time = “this music I’m doing is SHIT.”

also:
“oh, I’ll make a whole new set of music more oriented towards [insert genre here]” —> repeat endlessly, end up with a mutant OT set wich goes everywhere, wich also gets mixed emotions depending on the day (ie. “it’s good because it doesn’t sound all the same”, “argh, this is a mess”, etc.)

and also, the biggest lie of all:
“I should be doing this [X] way”
every time I get stupid like that, I remember that amazing video where FourTet explains his set, wich among other things involves a netbook with CoolEditPro and clicking randomly with a mouse to get audio snippets.

last one I can think of, that I still suffer from:
“f*ck, I need to start recording all this stuff”
I’m really bad at DAW tracking.
I know how to do it, it’s just that I like creating new things so much. :sweat:

5 Likes

I once took the form of a chicken.
A chicken with a jacket, and this jacket had pockets that never ended.
It was cool

2 Likes

as a sidenote, I’m often glad I didn’t sell by OT back in the day when I was GASing super hard on the MPC Live.
I feel like I know the OT inside out, but still I rediscover things every now and then (I’m getting into neighbour tracks and resampling right now)

I think Abraham Lincoln said it best: “All you need is a DAW and a MIDI controller. Everything else is just fetishism.”

3 Likes

I know exactly what your talking about… :joy: I saw a friend do that once…

I’ve got a hole in me pocket!

1 Like

Mr Lincoln was known to exaggerate.
midi controller so unnecessary :joy:

For me it’s totally related to finances. I generally like to keep a lid on things and not overbuy, just keep nice portable setup, but I always end up selling things for cash mainly. If I had all the monies I would have the loveliest studio, maybe it’s something I can work towards but currently it seems to peak and trough as employment tides go in and out…

1 Like