Something I've noticed about my SP404

To me its more of an instrument that most of the more expensive samplers I have because you have to get creative in order to get the most out of it. ts limitations are determined by the creativity of the user, its a sampler after all. To me the inputs dont determine if its serious or not because with that logic the Technics SL1200 is also not serious then again all of my gear are just toys to me. I love playing with them.

Iā€™ve seen them on pro-non-lofi setups and stages. Not too shabby for a toy!

4 Likes

It is most definitely not a toy. I use it for sampling my synths when I need a long stereo sample. I chose it over the 1010 Black Box because of its performance capabilities. When you get the signal to noise ratio right it sounds like what you put into it. Iā€™ve done AB tests while sampling my Prophet X and the sampled sound is super clean. Just because it is capable of lofi, that does not make it a lofi machine. And yes, many pro artists are using it. Flying Lotus, Grimes, Fourtetā€¦the list goes on. Oneohtrix Point Never even uses it for field recording. I have an SP-404A by the way. Havenā€™t heard the difference between the A/SX and og.

2 Likes

I agree itā€™s not a toy - as in all instruments are not toys either (by all I mean not just synths)

1 Like

Iā€™ve almost bought one a few timesā€¦ put a bid or two on Reverb that got rejected. Iā€™m so glad that I went the Digitakt routeā€¦

404 was my sampler, got an OT, but still I love fooling around on the 404.

1 Like

You could probably use it like an effects box, good point. I just sample stuff into it since it is so easy.

If anyone is up for a weird metaphor, the OT is more like the wizard and the SP404 as the wizardā€™s familiar. Definitely the wizard is more capable but the familiar has its own talents and they can work together well.