Some Scratching

I actually never got around to it because I hadn’t found the time yet. I ordered a soldering iron too, and this was going to be my first attempt at it.

But I noticed the new black ones that don’t require soldering last weekend. I quickly put my first gen tone arm up on EBay, and managed to sell it last week for what I bought it for. I ordered the black one too. I prefer how it looks, and not having to solder will make things much easier.

1 Like

Indeed! I also feel confident about modding things just by myself this time.

The black one looks slick with black elektron knobs on the PT01 :3lektron:

Elektron 7" slipmat would look dope

1 Like

Ok so the tonearm is here and I just spent my last unallocated coinage on a new numark PT01, a second jesse dean xfader and another ortofon OM q.

Can’t wait to get back to cutting with a fresh new portable!

The new tonearm looks and performs superb!

Compared to the Bihari, I love the tonearm handlebar on the jesse dean… The Bihari handlebar is a bit too short for my fingers and you easily mess up when handling the tonearm. The fact that jesse dean arm also swings to the other side of the platter for easier portablism for left handed people is also super cool!

I think the jesse dean preamp is also a better match for a ortofon Q OM cart&needle? The audio output does not saturate nearly as much when cranking up the gain… But OTOH the tone knob seems to have a more drastic effect to the high freqs? Peculiar.

For anyone wondering, those are the knob caps from my SE-02… Trying out various knob styles heh

Here’s the finished new PT, a mint new jesse dean fader feels so good! Seems like these need a bit of cleaning/maintenance, my old one wasn’t as smooth anymore as this new one.

2 Likes

I’ve been completely clueless about this portablism trend. I just bought my 9 year old a PT01-scratch because he’s been breakdancing with his friends and I figured It would be cool to throw in the mix. Then I started to look into what others have been doing with these cheap little toy tables and wow, right up my alley. I’m stoked. Already purchased myself one along with the Jesse Dean Tone arm and fader.

2 Likes

I just pre-ordered one of these, and I’m pretty amped. I kind of justified it by telling myself I’d use it with production, and as an audio interface; it’s supposed to have the same guts as their MP2015.

I plan on picking up the tonearm-less TT later on. I really want to start embracing my scratching abilities again, and combine it more with my productions. I keep envisioning myself with a live performance that involves a couple machines blasting out beats while I scratch over them.

4 Likes

Oh man, the new Rane! I bet its gonna feel killer cutting on that thing.

I started learning to scratch on CDJs, followed by DVS… And to this day all that digi stuff sounds much more bland to my ears than a real piece of wax. I hope your mileage will be better than mine man!

1 Like

I’ll always prefer true vinyl, but Serato ain’t that bad. That new Twelve TT looks really well built. Check out this video of Swiftstyle testing out the setup. It’s awesome being able to scratch any type of digital audio file.

Yeh, I’ve seen that video, and sad to say it doesn’t sound very good to my ears. I mean it sounds okay but not jaw-dropping by any means… And obviously the final sound is up to the software mainly, and those can and will improve in time…

As for the rane twelves, I have a pair of Denon SC3900’s with the 10” platters, so I bet these will be even better. the tracking is über hires on the twelve, or so I’ve read…

We need more tablist talk on this board!

Just got my solid cutz aluminum platter today. Recommended! Now all my 12” records play beautifully too, no wow or insufficent torque anymore. Only thing to note is that a 12” now requires more sticky mats, extra slippy mats will not work.

Any good new 7” battle records out lately? More specifically, black coloured ones, for longevity…

2 Likes

Liking the stealth look.
I need to look mine out, it’s been stashed away since we moved house. Need it to get sampling into the Digitakt :slight_smile:

I’m thinking of buying an Innofader for my Vestax 08 Pro, although the cf is still fine, pretty smooth and sharp… Is the Innofader that much better?

I also might have to upgrade to a DVS mixer at some point but there are so many other stuff that I have to buy first :frowning:

Still love my Vestax though! I’ve had it for 10+ years, it’s a beast!

I didn’t even know about these. I just ordered one even though I haven’t touched my portable in ages. I still haven’t even installed my Jesse Dean tonearm yet lol. I’ve been scratching again lately on my regular turntable & Pioneer S9 mixer though. I decided to pass on the Rane mixer for now. I don’t like what I’m hearing about the quality of its crossfader or FX.

1 Like

I didn’t really know about these either.
Gonna have to get one and practice more.

The S9 looks way better, not as cluttered with bad color design.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was a big factor for me.

1 Like

I bet the S9 is a beauty! Alas, my modest funds has me using a humble ecler nuo 2.0 instead…

Thanks! I like my equipment black and looking like its trying to be ”out of the way”. The PT01 is super easy to customize as far as looks are concerned.

Quick little freestyle

3 Likes

A heads up for the scratch-heads …
Traktor 3 drops in under a week and now has “scratch” built in plus it will work on ANY soundcard not just NI approved ones. Meaning you can grab some Traktor Timecode Vinyl and get scratching if you have Traktor (I believe its a free upgrade if you already have it).

I’m tempted to grab a MixFader and a Traktor Timecode 12" and cut it down to a 7". While I’m at it I’m tempted by the Jesse Deans Tonearm and Sure M44-7. But it’s all gonne bloody add up to nearly £300!

Isn’t there a new Jesse Dean budget tonearm coming out?