Some Scratching

Wow you got some skills, I’d love to be able to do that… I’m mostly a guitar player and have never tried, love those scratch sounds though and looks like a fun art form… Dig the general vibe too…

1 Like

Sorry to necro this ole thread again, but just had to share this insane routine in the DMC online finals that just went online:

Watch out for this guy! Skills, musicality, fun, what turntablism is all about!

4 Likes

Seen that earlier, greatness

a little diff from actually using, changing, cueing, and marking up real records :slight_smile: but still cool.

record style scratchin’

this one is sick…check 2:45…so good

1 Like

Dammmmmmmn, son. This is like the opposite of the knob-twisters on Boiler Room :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice, I didn’t know I needed some of that but I did… :ecstatic:

1 Like

How about a little DJ Krush. I saw him play live at The Roxy in LA. it was amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVjgRlto8PI

It wouldn’t be a scratch thread without BRAINFREEZE!
Epic and inspirational skills from Shadow and Cut Chemist. This is an amazing set that they toured with. All super-collectable and rare 45’s - I saw this tour live - was mindblowing!

2 Likes

Oh man +1 for DJ Krush… i absolutely LOVE his old albums…

Also, lets not forget Q-Bert… probably thenmost talented of all time… ever…

The Jesse Dean tonearm mod is now out, but unfortunately the first batch has sold out already:

Looking at the instructions, this mod requires a bit of soldering? However, the suspension mechanism on this tonearm makes it a no-brainer best upgrade. I’ll be replacing my Bihari tonearm with this one as soon as I can find stock from some retailer (which, I’m guessing will take a while as the demand is super high ATM)…

Unless someone wants to buy my bihari modded PT01 with the jesse dean fader? :wink: Less than a year old, custom black felts and black fader cap

I ordered a matte one seconds after they were available :sunglasses:

1 Like

Man, I’m jealous! Just checked ebay, some foos asking 500$ for one?! Unreal demand for sure. Anyhoo, just emailed Jesse to ask some estimate for the next batch, will update if he replies.

You going to put a M44-7 onto yours?

BTW if you don’t already have the stokyo platter mod, I strongly recommend it. Stabilized the platter alot, and installation could not have been simpler!

I might try the Q Bert OM Ortofon, but most likely will go for the Shure. I’ll get the platter stabilizer too at some point. Haven’t been scratching as much as I’d like lately, but I do want to come up with a set involving the Digitakt (when it arrives), one turntable, and my mixer.

1 Like

In hindsight I’d check the vinyl preamp specs before settling on a cartridge type. The qbert cart is a bit too hot for the Bihari preamp I find, and clips way before the amp runs out of gain, not ideal. Also the needle weight should be considered, I think the Dean is optimized for the M44-7? The ortofon scratch can handle more tracking weight than the qbert om, that’s why you see Bihari rocking the scratch cart.

I’m sure a DT and the PT01 make a good combo! Add a powerpack to the DT for elite portablist experience :diddly: :ecstatic:

EDIT: According to youtube comments, 3-4 weeks until the next batch is available. Credit cards at the ready :nyan:

EDIT2: Here’s a full-lenght installation video of the tonearm:

1 Like

I’d be amazed if numark didn’t build upon the popularity of all these mods and release a PT-Pro that has an innofader and ability to attach any cart/headshell

1 Like

While that would be sweet, I am quite content with the mods ATM… I have no idea how “niche” the portablism game is, but judging from the general level of online activity as gauged from popular vlogs and sites, doesn’t seem like there would be a goldrush of portablism. The whole point of the PT01 scratch was that very minimal tooling was required for it (changing from PT01 USB), so it made sense for Numark to go with it even if they didn’t expect to sell millions of em?

I would love a custom enclosure tho, not the biggest fan of the el cheapo plastic they’ve used. After having spent more money on the mods than on the portable itself, the original enclosure (and the belt?) has became the weakest link lol

Been actually thinking about ditching the PT01 entirely and building a 100% custom portable, using that cardboard turntable as the base… Spinbox, was that the name? But making a custom enclosure (that wouldn’t look DIY) sounds like an epic undertaking… And of course I’d want to have the dean tonearm for it… hmm,nope, better off sticking with the PT01 for now.

1 Like

I like the look of the new innofader with the 3d printed enclosure that fits into the existing slot. £125 bit pricey though

Which one is that? Looking at the majority of the faders, looks like you cannot close the lid after installing one… Only the small jesse dean fader seems to fit in a way that still allows closing of the lid?

And I have to admit, I’ve became very addicted to the “cuts on both sides” thing… Makes me wish I could have that with a real innofader as well… Although double side cutting makes me sloppy with the regular cut :pl: Its like the double kickdrum heavy metal drummers use, very hard to go back…

Soo you got your tonearm modded yet @Prints ?

A new batch of Jesse dean tonearms became available and I ordered the new black one… Now I need to get a new PT01 and sell off the old one, easier to mod a new unit than to unmod the old one. But I am pretty sure it’ll be worth it for increased performance at odd angles.

hmm does the jesse dean tonearm mod require the ext battery mod as well? IIRC the phono preamp included with the tonearm does not run off the D-cell batteries…

DMCs today, I’d like to see perly take the title

1 Like