Some Scratching

Mr Bihari just opened up a new shop, selling his tonearms and RIAA preamps to go with it. There will be a tutorial video on how to install the pre + tonearm in the future as well. Also got some good looking new scratch 7" coming soon!

I’ll let you know once I have “ruined” ny PT01 with the mod.

Just discovered this thread :slight_smile:

I need to get myself a turntable. I threw out a real crap ION one a few months back and need something to play my vinyl on and spotted the PT01 Scratch. That’d fulfil my vinyl requirements and also allow me to cheaply and easily get back into scratching (I used to years n years ago).

Is anyone on here using the turntable with Timecode vinyl and software on iPad/PC/Mac?
I’ve got Traktor and was wondering if a Timecode 7" can control a deck or do I need to buy Traktor Scratch?
I like the idea of being able to scratch with custom-made tracks (in software).

I use serato and you need to buy the dvs upgrade and a serato box or serato enabled mixer.

It’s same for traktor, you’ll need the right hardware

1 Like

One cheap-ish way of going about this vould be the Akai AMX mixer that comes bundled with serato. Then you’d just need to unlock the DVS IAP from serato and buy yourself some serato 7" control records. Like this one:

Just be aware that if you go for the PT01, it will wear down your vinyls quite fast unless you mod it to work with a magnetic cartridge/stylus.

As for being able to scratch custom stuff, I am hoping that 3D printing technology becomes good enough to print 7" records :diddly: Someone has already printed 12" records to wood that have a sound quality comparable to a gramofone recording, guessing it won’t take that many years until passable sounding 7" can be printed affordably…

I use that amx, great value

1 Like

Just a lil heads up - Mr Bihari has managed to make the RIAA preamp mod soldering-free! This should make the tonearm mod much easier to pull off. This was posted on his ig:

Not sure if this will render battery operation inoperable though… does anyone know?

Already ordered mine and eagerly waiting for it to ship!

EDIT: Here’s the first new tutorial video on the tonearm replacement procedure. A second video is forthcoming which will show how to install the solderless preamp.

2 Likes

way cool. I just might…

Been practicing on my PT01 every day now. I am finally making progress with 2 click flares and tears, but find that my forearms are starting to ache like hell. Any tips on how to keep my forearm muscles going? I am using a powerball to work on my hands/fingers, but it doesn’t ease the pain… Unless I am using it wrong?

That’s natural, and a good sign. Your muscles are developing. Let them rest, and keep at it. It’s like king-fu training.

1 Like

The second tutorial video for the bihari tonearm mod is online. Here’s both of them, one more video is forthcoming which will show how to add a start/stop button.

Tonearm

Preamp

Installing the preamp seems a lil bit more involved than I’d hoped, but certainly not impossible. Need to take things slow and one step at a time.

The tonearm and solderless preamp just arrived. Ortofon OM qbert (Mr Bihari confirmed all Ortofon OM carts and most Shures work) should ship in a week or two, so I will get mine modded just in time for May :ecstatic: Once the MPC live ships I’ll be ready for the summer big time with these two.

The tonearm looks very good IMO, there’s nothing DIY feeling about it. I just hope the performance doesn’t suffer because this tonearm doesn’t use the spring that the original PT arm uses - I hope the spring is not responsible for allowing esoteric playing angles/surfaces with the PT, although I find that using the PT in my lap is not ergonomic for the hands :diddly:

3 Likes

The cart arrived…

The sound is straight from the PT01 rca outs, into the iPad via my 12MTK. As you can hear, there’s a serious impedance mismatch without the preamp mod, but at least it’s working.

One word of caution - I broke the white pin from the tonearm cable, they are very easy to break so remember to take extra care when reconnecting them to the new cart! I’m getting my connectors soldered tomorrow, just to make the bond a bit more trouble-free in the future…

The tonearm&needle tracks beautifully even at odd angles. Might still add the platterbar mod later on…

2 Likes

Ok, with the help of my friend, we just finished installing the preamp, soldered the cart connector that broke yesterday and cleaned the belt (was making creaking noise).

Here’s the result, rerecorded the audio from the same vinyl with the preamp in place so you can evaluate the difference in sound.

The qbert cart is hella loud though - going past 12 o clock on the volume dial starts clipping real fast. But then again I have the same prob with the q cart on my PDX3000 :diddly:

Now where’s that “Just for your hand Vol 2” I’ve been saving for this occasion? :loopy: :evil: :ecstatic: :cb:

EDIT: After having used my new modded for two days now, some observations:

1. While the tonearm tracks the record even at odd angles, doing so introduces tracking distortion to the sound quality. Def wait for the Jesse Dean tonearm reviews if this important to you, IIRC the Dean tonearm uses some kind of magnets to keep the tonearm in place, so it might perform better at odd angles.

2. With the preamp in place, my noise floor (when not using the deck with the xfader open) has went up, and a new kind of interference sound has creeped into the noisefloor. These sounds are not really noticeable during use, only when the turntable is “idle”.

3. I’m getting GAS for a second modded PT01. A battery powered 7" dubstation at a nice location, good weather and some beers…mm…

EDIT2: Ok, so having now spent alot more time with my modded PT01, some more thoughts:

• The ortofon OM qbert is not an ideal match for a bihari tonearm+pre combo in terms of needle weight, possibly the output voltage is also too high. The bihari arm has a static weight of ~3grams, and the extra metal weight that comes with the om cart is 2grams. 3+2=5, which is one gram too much according to ortofon specifications, resulting i excess record wear (Already ruined most of the ahh samples on my newish just for your hand 2 record). My solution for now has been to use a hacksaw for cutting the extra metal weight roughly in half, so now I’m tracking around 4-4.3grams
  • There is a new platter mod (stokyo) available which should improve tracking further. I have ordered it and will update my experiences when it arrives.
  • When listening to your vinyls outside, the wind is your wors t enemy! So make sure its not a windy day :panda:
2 Likes

FINALLY, installed the Jesse Dean fader to my portable. It is so much better now.

3 Likes

Nice cuts there my man! Did you add the black rings to the fader (ie. making it cut only on one side)?

And if you’re not into the tonearm mods, you might wanna consider changing the needle from a ceramic to a diamond one. I heard this is cheap to do and should improve sound q as well as reducing record wear slightly. IIRC CJ scratch on youtube has replaced his needle with a diamond one, check his videos.

Your cuts are super clean… I gotta catch up on my practice.

Thanks. I didn’t add the ring, so it does cut on both sides. It’s nice that someone who cuts with the opposite hand could use it as well I think. I did replace the stylus with a diamond tip one though. It is much better than the cheap ass stylus it comes with, and a super affordable purchase.

2 Likes

What is the diamond one? Easy to swap?

Super duper easy to swap. When you see what the stylus that came with the Numark PT-01 looks like, you’ll be like wtf.

1 Like

The diamond needle is the way to go if you don’t want to mess around with the preamp & tonearm mods. Furthermore, the spring at the bottom of the original tonearm works very well for enabling tracking at super weird angles, better than a bihari tonearm in that regard. Perhaps the upcoming jesse dean tonearm will provide equal odd angle tracking…

PS there’s a new italian scratch 7" released that is BLACK VINYL! Grab it while u can… Personally I am done with coloured vinyl.

freestyling

1 Like