Some of my Sketches w/ the Digitakt + DSI Tetra + Ableton

Some more jamming on the new Elektron Digitakt. Majority of the sounds are coming from samples on the DT, with some additional synth duties from the Dave Smith Tetra (in multitimbral mode, sequenced via the Digitakt).

Ableton is used for master bus FX, FX on the tetra voices, and for sending CC to the Tetra. The DJTT MIDI Fighter Twister (foreground) is used for controlling the Ableton devices.

Samples are from misc percussion packs, sampling my DSI synths, and chopped stems from previous songs of mine.

soundcloud upload:

4 Likes

Another sketch + video. Samples on the Digitakt (featuring dialog from the movies Primer and Cloud Atlas) + sequencing the Dave Smith Tetra. Ableton for channel FX.

Can’t wait for overbridge to allow for multi-tracking.

1 Like

100% Digitakt, a little master FX in Ableton on the mixdown but otherwise just samples in the DT.

1 Like

Very cool!
It has this old school hip hop vibe.

1 Like

nice tunes! I am considering getting a Tetra to add to my digitakt and digitone. Would you recommend it? Have you had any problems with that combo?

I would be hoping to do program changes from the digitakt. Does that work well?

Also, how is the midi control when controlling the Tetra from the digitakt?

Thanks for you help!

1 Like
  • Not sure if i’d recommend it in general, but if you want a small analog / multitimbral unit its hard to beat and pretty unique.
  • You can do program changes, the Tetra handles it pretty well / fast (i did a few analog drum sequences with rapid program changes). Changing banks on DSI gear from Elektron gear requires a bit of a hack (search around here)
  • MIDI control is fine, check the Tetra manual for coverage details. You can sequence each voice separately if you want.

but imo:

If you’re getting a Tetra for its utility (4 voices multiimbral, small size), your digitone is already better (can easily program most subtractive synth sounds). If you’re getting a tetra for that analog sound, go for something that isn’t a huge pain to program and has a keyboard (e.g. Mopho x4 has replaced my tetra). If you want an analog drum machine get a dedicated drum synth.

The Tetra is cool and unique, but with your DT + DN setup, I don’t feel it will add much and has too much utility overlap with the DN (which, in terms of pure power and synth flexibility the Digitone cannot be beat for its physical size imo).

This is coming from somebody who has had a tetra through several iterations of my gear and always tried to make it work. I still own it but its been on the “probably should get around to just selling this thing” list for a while.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s very helpful :slight_smile: much appreciated!

I’d like an Analog 4 at some point, but i wish the A4 was small like the digitone. That’s what got me thinking about the Tetra.

I think I’ll wait on the Tetra for now then. I already have a Behringer Neutron that i can sample and sequence anyway.

Cheers!

2 Likes

A bit offtopic but… I have quite a serious problem with this combo, could you please check this topic… maybe you had same issues but were able to fix it…

Thanks!