Some new tracks

It’s been a while since I posted anything here, but got a Cirklon for Christmas and made these three new tracks.
Cirklon is driving Rytm, Virus, Nord Drum, Waldorf XT, Ambika and O-Coast.

Hope you find something you like!

4 Likes

Really really like Cirklon-2b-m! By far my favorite of this batch. Great mix of sounds. Some lower-to-mid-range frequencies are swirling just underneath - it has that almost imperceptible and out of reach feel to it, like some sounds are blocking or hiding others 80% of the time, and you only momentarily get to hear them. Sounds bad maybe, but meant as compliment. Adds to mysterious atmosphere. Makes the ear listen closer. Adds to repeat listens. Great darkly playful higher-pitched melodies on top as well. Remarkably good sound design - all sounds mesh really well and compliment each other. Nice!!!

1 Like

Really like your tracks (they have a very modulary sound). Is programming on the Cirklon fast and intuitive? It seems like it is capable of so much , but a pretty lifeless process.

Bwax: Thanks for listening and for the complementary review!

Is programming on the Cirklon fast and intuitive? It seems like it is capable of so much, but a pretty lifeless process.

The workflow is somewhat different to the way the Elektrons work. It’s more like the Session view in Ableton Live in some ways: One or more patterns (‘clips’ in Live) are associated with tracks, and scenes (same as ‘scenes’ in Live) are specific individual patterns playing across tracks. Each track has an ‘instrument’ assigned to it, which defines which MIDI port and channel number the pattern data gets sent to. Once I was able to visualize it like this, the workflow became very intuitive.

As for entering notes into patterns, you can do that live from a keyboard, in steps from a keyboard, or via the knobs. The mode that seems to be missing is hold a pattern step and hit a key on the keyboard. There are some neat features to make entering notes from the Cirklon itself faster, although I like the Elektron’s little keyboard display better than the vertical bars with note names (A3, G#5, etc.). (For the really nerdy, you can set a preference to display the notes as MIDI note numbers!)

I’m finding it fast, fun and really inspiring. The three tracks above were created in 2-3 hours each, recorded ‘live’ to stereo (jamming with scenes and track muting) and then given a touch of post production in Logic.

Anyway, thanks for listening and the kind words!

2-3 hours each? Whoa. Even more impressive.

Stunning work. Congrats on the Cirklon! How do you divide drum duties between Rytm and Nord drum? Is there anything you still use or miss from the Rytm sequencer or is it fully slaved as a sound module now?

I haven’t tried sequencing the Rytm from the Cirklon yet. Just send it clock and transport. The Rytm sequencer is so great, there doesn’t seem any point using it just as a sound module.

The Nord Drum complements the Rytm well, and it’s fun to layer Nord Drum patterns sequenced on the Cirklon over the top of Rytm patterns.

Lovely music, I especially dig the first track! It sounds like you have a bit of probability going on - is that using the note probability aux in cirklon? For the Nord Drum do you use Ck patterns or p3? I have been using Ck grid, but think I’ll try p3 for more variation like you :slight_smile:

Thanks Leighzi88! Yeah, there’s some probability stuff going on in all the tracks, but no random notes; rather alternative notes and probability aux masking. I think in at least one of those tracks there’s some inter-track event swaps going on too. In that first track, there’s lots of CC parameter locking happening – especially on the Waldorf XT. Also some effects and reverb send parameter locking happening.

For the Nord Drum, I’m using 6 separate tracks and P3 patterns to take advantage of all the possibilities those kinds of tracks give.

1 Like

Cool! The Cirklon is wild, huh? :slight_smile:

Definitely wild. I’m having a blast with it!
How long have you had yours?

About 6 months now - it’s so deep, discovering new uses every day! :slight_smile:

I like the structure of ploc-M a lot.

Nice work! Following!

Thanks, YloopZ – appreciate the comment and the follow!

Another track for your listening pleasure. Featuring Rytm! Virus! Waldorf XT! Nord Drum! all sequenced from Cirklon. Recorded straight to stereo, second take.