SOMA RoAT (Rumble of Ancient Times)

Not sure if I will get one but I think the 8bit filter probably makes this a little more versatile than the initial demos are showing, seems to be focused on more chip style sounds so not a lot of the filter in the demos.

1 Like

I know that most people seem to get real excited about SOMA but I’ve always been pretty ambivalent but wow, this is really my sort of thing. Analogue is great and all that, but I think there is so much untapped potential from exploring all the different technologies that have existed over the years… I’m the kind of person who gets excited about chiptune oriented gear prescisely because I’m not fussed about writing chiptunes, rather I’d love to see what else can be done with it.

TLDR… I emailed about pre-ordering too!! Reminds me of when I had to program a PDP-11 at Uni using 16 switches, 16 LEDs and 3 buttons…

4 Likes

…the rumble of ancient times…

5 Likes

Reminds me a little bit of a TE product. Looks cool.

Came across this run down from Juno - looks really cool and according to their website it should be due at the end of March (although I guess that depends on how things pan out in the Ukraine)…

1 Like

Just noticed the Soma website updated the ROAT availability from January/March to April… Looking forward to this, hoping all the Soma and Soma EU folks are doing alright in this shitty time.

3 Likes

didn’t know I was all that bothered until I watched this!
love the randomisation features and enjoyed hearing it spit out one nasty, textured riff after another in this review!

5 Likes

I’m the same. This thing wasn’t on my radar but it sounds like a techno riff machine.

1 Like

this is actually really cool. this would be great for sample fodder.

1 Like

Sounds like shit

1 Like

Has anyone gotten a order in on this yet? The last message I got from Soma was on May 9th, saying they were beginning orders that week and that there is a 4-5 week wait. Haven’t heard anything since…

I pre-ordered from an outlet in the U.K. but I’m not expecting anything anytime soon.
To be honest I just tried to forget about it!
If it comes before 2023 I’ll be happy.

2 Likes

I came to the same attitude, and thought conditions got worse when I started seeing “preorder” turn to “out of stock”, but Perfect Circuit just shipped mine!

3 Likes

Many people grab one of these? Any good? I see them in stock now and been tempted to grab one

Be the impulse buyer you want to be…and let me know what you think.

2 Likes

As far as I understand, the designer of this synth wasn’t a part of SOMA when he started selling these. This is what they looked like in pre-SOMA times:

2 Likes

I’ve just ordered one. I’ll get back in here once I’ve worked it out a little.

4 Likes

I’ve had the ROAT for about a month now and I highly recommend it. It’s capable of some excellent sounds and especially works nicely feeding it into the Lyra’s ext in for additional textures. The sequencer is also cool and has a click track that can be enabled if needed. A fun, happy accident toy - the random button provides a whole host of weirdness.

7 Likes

Shhh Tim eeeeng

6 Likes

I find it strange that so many people complain about the horrible sound.
I think it sounds great. And I’m not even into harsh techno music.

3 Likes