Solutions for implementing "Song Mode"

Hi all,

I had a search here as well as inter-web, and I don’t think this has been discussed. I am about to buy a digitakt, so I cannot test this idea:

Is it possible to use a midi loop (out then back in) to send midi CC pattern select to the digitakt patterns? I guess you would need a trigless lock on each of the patterns telling it where to go next?

This, theoretically, would be infinite ‘song song’ mode chaining, although I doubt you could switch banks?

This is a complete falsehood.

1 Like

ok, so I can reply to myself and say that this can work. Midi CC messages can send 0-127 (which corresponds to A01 - H16).

You can also make that trig p-locked so that it is eg. 8/8, so that is runs for 8 rotations before it shifts. You can even do random stuff but conditional trigs… but that is another story.

This is a pretty good workaround for song mode I think!

EDIT: having just tried this on the DT, there appear to be some issues. Using the program change function, (auto set to ch.14) and ensuring the settings allow sending midi cc, the tracks do indeed shift according to program change settings, but when you press STOP (or double stop) the DT goes into a frenzied midi loop and starts doing weird stuff.

Anyone got any advice on a way around this? I’m not sure if there is a way to stop this feedback loop…

1 Like

this has been documented and acknowledged by Elektron, if using MIDI loopback, don’t ever press double STOP…

I hate MIDI feedback loops so I don’t plug a devices output into it’s input, no matter what interesting things may come of it.