SOLO mode for MODEL:SAMPLES/CYCLES with LOGIC PRO

There is a Logic Pro X environment that make MUTE buttons on ELEKTRON MODELS:SAMPLE to act as SOLO buttons. Radio mode only.

• Open project with LOGIC PRO, setup the M:S so Track 1 respond to MIDI channel 1, track 2 to MIDI channel 2 and so on.
  • As I’ve not found other solution to switch the SOLO mode ON/OFF from the M:S interface, the FADE setting of LFO (in LFO SETUP menu) of Track 1 is used:
    O value disable SOLO Mode (PADs act normal MUTE)
    1 value activate the SOLO Mode

To use another CC to switch the mode on/off (if you have a spare button on another MIDI control surface), open the Environment window of Logic and choose the layer called “M:S SOLO MODE”. On the left, find the cable selector labeled “SETUP SOLO MODE ON/OFF CC” and configure it as you need.
Near this cable selector, a transformer module allow to remap CC’s range if needed.
You may have to connect the M:S pin of Logic “physical input” module to the monitor module just below.

PADs LEDs on the Models:Sample are accurate.
It should work with Model:Cycles too, as MIDI implementation for MUTE are the same.

It work well also with the “hidden” one hand mute mode described here:
hidden-mute-mode-tutorial

link to Logic template (github):
MODELS-SAMPLE-SOLO-MODE

Have fun!

UPDATED:

The template also provide an easy to use interface that allow to access all the 5 LFO retrig modes (Free, Reset, Sample & Hold, One cycle and Half cycle), only available on the M:S control surface from Velocity Modulation. So, you will be able to P.lock this LFO retrigger modes or to use them without requiring Velocity modulation to be activated…And it’s possible to send a Note event as you click the LFO-Mode selection button, so you can live-record on the same trig Note and Retrig-mode’s P.Lock, or just to have fun live with S&h lfo mode…

1 Like

…sound like I get some difficulties to remember how is working Github this day ^^ …Sorry if you found the link dead or not get the right last files…That’s fixed now.

Added to repository a picture to explain wiring in Environment if your setup is different…

take a look at the MIDI Scripter versions, that come with more functions:

Brand new Breaking New Flesh for Old:

I’ve found a less intrusive and fairly more simple solution to have a SOLO behavior: Using a “double Tap”, i.e. pressing the pad/mute twice quickly.
This solution does not need any side parameter to be set, and overcharge the normal way MUTE are done (pressing [FUNC] + Track’s PAD). It’s by the way very less intrusive and don’t break the Hardware-only workflow one time the plugin is loaded.

As this improvement make a big part of my last year code useless, I will work the upcoming night on a simplified scripter module, that will also come with a little 3th MIDI LFO I’ve worked on past days, as I was in the need of an LFO that could be assigned to multiple tracks at once.

You can already test the Double Tap SOLO that I’ve integrated to the existing scripter module here:

The mode is enable by default but you must choose “Toggling” mode first (it work with “Stacking” mode too but the behavior is quiet confusing combined with double tap). You can set the delay between the two taps in the script headers.

note to Elektron dev: I’m sure you can implement this behavior in half a day, it don’t break any workflow nor system logic…Or better make the UI-MIDI layer of the OS open-source :slight_smile:

Have fun.
New Flesh For Old is a ref. to an old UK hip-hop album - boomer joke.