Solid State Logic .. SSL Big SiX

Hi mbillz! I tried it again, just to check, and it seems like there is a new bug (or feature :slight_smile: before you touch the volume controls (button on the iPad), the outputs are muted.
To check that it is connected, you can just play anything on the iPad (like Youtube), and you should hear the output (channels 1-2). Then, you can can just configure ins and outs in AUM. Hope it works for you!

1 Like

Whoa - that totally works! What a weird quirk, but Iā€™m glad there is a work around! Thanks for looking into it. I feel less bad about spending $20 on AUM and $50 on Cubasis yesterday. Excited to explore the world of iPad apps.

Does anyone have a link to a power supply replacement in the US?

I tried both an XP Power ALM120PS24 and a Delta MDS-090AAS24 BA power supply. Both are much quieter than the original Fidus one. The XP power one might be slightly quieter than the Delta, but it also has a really short chunky cord which is annoying. Both are available on mouser or digikey.

1 Like

I got the Delta as well as it was a lot less expensive. It was much quieter for me too. I got it from arrow.com for around $47. I think I added some 1/8ā€ extender cables to get it over $50 for free shipping.

edit: For some reason the arrow shopping experience seemed a little wonky, but they got it out super fast.

I have the clicking issue too, which is gone when I disconnect any grounded synth like Yamaha TX802 or Moog Sub37. I have some Transformer Isolators from Lehle which remove the noise also (100ā‚¬ per input :-). And there is clearly a 30 db high peak in noise at 10hz.

despite following this thread i still really want a Bix SiX and plan to get one, am i stupid?

Love mineā€“itā€™s completely amazing in terms of sound and workflow. No problems for me. Go for it!

1 Like

It really is the best mixer under $10k. I think if I were in your situation I would wait just a bit until someone hears something from SSL about the final verdict on the power supply issue (are they going to use another brand of power supply or is there a change they are going to make to the mixer?), and if they fix the DC offset thing (with a firmware update or a physical change to the mixer?). But if nothing ever happens I would still probably get it anyway lol, maybe I am stupid too.

1 Like

Answering my own question here, but figured itā€™s worth posting in case anyone else is trying to avoid wasting a B6 SA channel for running a sync track from devices like the ERM Multiclock. A possible solution Iā€™m thinking about is getting a cheap usb interface and creating an aggregate device. Slightly annoying work around, but worth it on the long run, thatā€™s if it works and doesnā€™t cause further clock issues!!

iā€™m wondering how you work with return tracks for reveb and delay with the BiG SiX in Ableton. I just do not understand. Do you also print the send effects? Thanks!

I Have a Eventide Space & a Eventide Timefactor Connected to Mixer. Also I like to use return Chanels from Ableton.

Did someone found a good way?
Thank You for sharing. @rklem @monotrack @Atoman

this Is how I currently use the Return channels with Big Six.
But how to record the analog ones that are connected to EXT Inputs?

And on the Groups I have the external device plugin from ableton.

@mibolux thats my setup for now. thanks for sharing

1 Like

Ext1 and Ext2 are a nice add, but it is not optimal for the FX Return in a DAW situation (for me). I use the 4 Mono and 3 Stereo Channels on B6 for synths (Sub37, microFreak, Motehr32, 0Coast, TR-8S, JupiterXM and miniLogueXD. Cue 1 & 2 I use as analog sends to my Apollo where I use Reverb and Delay and return to Channel 11&12 which I use as FX Return so I can record them. In Live11 I have Tracks for those synths to record them but Volume at zero, so I can send to the FX Tracks I want. I send them back to B6 on 15&16 with the Master Out. (On the Apollo I have some more synths connected) And in fact I use an Aggregate device in Logic X - Tascam US4x4HR and BigSix to have access to Channels 1&2.

2 Likes

@HOOOPS here we goā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

great! love this ā€œall around youā€ style.

yeah nice for ONE person, I changed a little to make room for BigSix, UF8 and UC1

How do you put the Bus Comp only to your Drum Bus? Thank you.

I donā€™t use it for that, I prefer the UC1 Bus compressor on all of my Groups in Live11, and use the Bus Comp on B6 only as a Master Bus Comp

i have no idea how to put the Bus Comp to my Stereo 5/6 in Big Six. The Manual is really not helping a lot. No Informations in the internet. Any Ideas how to rout this??

If I do it like the manual says " ST CUE 1 TO G COMP & SUM TO MAIN BUS" i will get a ā€œdoubled soundā€ which is shifted in time

This somewhat strangely named switch/feature allows the use of Stereo Cue 1 to create parallel mixes. A typical example is where you want to use the bus compressor to act on a drum mix and this to then be summed in parallel to the main mix i.e. creating a compressed drum mix, but with other elements left uncompressed. By creating the parallel drum mix on Stereo Cue 1 from the consoleā€™s channels, if you then press ST CUE 1 TO G COMP & SUM TO MAIN BUS the Stereo Cue 1 mix passes through the G Series Bus Compressor and it is summed with the Main mix, while the Main mix bypasses the G-Series Bus Compressor. e.g."

Yes, not the best solution, but anyway as you use ST Cue 1 for Effect send I am pretty sure you cannot do thatā€¦

Maybe check your monitoring and main mix settings. Try turning off st cue 1 in monitor and main mix channel, but still having the st cue 1 to main mix button engaged. Since it would all be summed to main mix, you would only want to hear that.