Solid State Logic .. SSL Big SiX

Interesting, wil there ever be a bigger version like six mono / six stereo channels? Like Six + Big Six in one case would be perfect for a bit bigger setup.

That probably depends on how the Big Six sells, and what they think the market looks like for a ~5k analog mixer these days. I’m guessing another step up like that probably means half as many buyers.

I’ve heard A LOT of feedback on B6 from musicians that they will def keep it as soon as it has at least 2 more mono channels… otherwise it’s useless for their needs… so who knows for sure…

I ended up connecting my Rytm mkii to to the external input bus at the back, to free up one stereo channel. Works great, as the Rytm has all the mixer controls I need on-board, and and analogue volume knob. Also, when recording, I made an aggregate device with the B6 and Rytm’s overbridge outputs, so I can record drums to individual tracks, and still have all of the B6 channels for guitar/synths/vocals. Having a hybrid setup, also means that some channels (e.g. Kontact) are recorded directly in the DAW. I also kept the small six, just in case I wanted to add a few more channels …

3 Likes

I’m writing an article about the Big Six, and I need some juicy quotes. My angle is that it’s the first proper mixer for modern musicians.

Most mixers are either built for the stage, or to record bands, with lots of microphone inputs, or they’re more like USB interfaces, with stereo inputs, USB, but no physical controls.

The Big Six is both. SSL quality, but with a ton of useful stereo ins and outs. It’s pretty perfect for the home studio, and you won’t need anything else.

I see it as kind of like a Mackie 1202 VLZ, only with USB and better sound.

Is that about right?

3 Likes

The B6 is for (semi-)professional musicans that won’t invest in an API Box 2 or a SSL Origin, while still seeking for the clarity, flexibility and a bit of the mojo of legacy SSL consoles in a small footprint.

The B6 is the centerpiece of a modern hybrid studio ecosystem - for a reasonable price. It’s fun to track and mix with the B6 and it’s even much more fun to connect some high end outboard to the B6 - e.g. preamps from NEVE or eqs from ELYSIA - to go much further.

2 Likes

“It does the things” - HoldMyBeer

5 Likes

Are there any comparable mixer/interface combos? I can’t find anything that offers the number of stereo ins, and the flexible routing.

Also, does anyone prefer an all-analog mixer plus a separate audio interface?

I personally come from 2x SSL SiX with an Apogee Symphony MK2 interface. The sound quality of this combo is insane, but for multitracking tasks not the ideal setup.

An alternative would be to go with the Cranborne Audio 500 devices and some 500 series modules (e.g. six channels). But this still is a different approach.

The next upper level option would be a Trident 68 plus audio interface - where you land somewere at 20k.

I don’t have any SSLs. I found the vocal comparison video to be the most compelling, but that suggests that the Big SiX’s real value is in making podcasters and office zooms sound much, much better. A 3-piece suit for your vocal cords.

And if my WFH budget was bigger, I’d try to expense one. :innocent:

If you want to use “a 3-piece suit for your vocal cords” or anything else I said, just cite me as an anon forum poster.

Or, if you prefer deep cuts, “Vajazzle for your vocal cords”

1 Like

Apart from the teething troubles with the power supply and so on, do we consider this to be perhaps the best small(ish) USB mixer around?

I would have preferred if they didn’t include an interface and given us separate outs on all of the channels instead. Right now there are inserts on the first four mono channels, but no inserts on the four stereo channels. And there are the stereo cue sends and Bus B, but I don’t want to burn those up trying to get individual tracks out. It’s not a deal breaker for me of course, but it would be nice to have the option to choose my converters. As it is though, SSL nailed the routing, and having a mixer with two stereo cue sends is great.

3 Likes

It is very expensive, and has features that are very application specific. For some users, it is probably the best possible USB mixer, for others far from it.

It isn’t a USB mixer, but I’m currently using a Mackie 402, and it’s great. I’ll add a 1202 soon, but I don’t see much need for the SSLs, other than making my voice sound like gold plated butter on Zoom calls. Which is tempting.

Edit: I’m a (software) engineer in my day job, so I’m allergic to calling anything “the best”. Everything is a compromise, and for a $3k mixer the best review will be one that is very forthright about the pros and cons and feature minutiae.

3 Likes

Did you make a decision? I’m in the same boat and the ProRack looks damn good.

1 Like

Well… heavy choisy!

I haven’t made the decision yet, since I don’t need it THAT much at the moment, still have my MixWizard and small Mackie for everyday studio / live routine. But listed them for sale to make an upgrade later this year ; )

ProRack is damn good, no doubts. I talked to a few who uses it and they are supper happy, asked that they think about this SSL B6 - most replies were like “it’s a poser fancy stuff : ) ProRack is a real pro hard work solution : )”

Well, I see it this way - if more channels / sends needed - ProRack is the way of course. If you want it for live space / studio, probably B6 limitations will cause problems sooner or later. And I think for recording even basic RME / Universal Audio interface will do better than B6.

If you really have a small project personal studio and 12 channels are ok for your workflow, maybe give SSL a chance and see how it works in your environment, probably could be a joy to use and a bring a bit different, maybe a slightly “better” sound. Both mixers are quite “neutral”, but maybe SSL offer a bit more “sonic magic”.

Personally, I still want Big Six, I love fancy things : ) But want to try / see it first in a store, gather more info together. At least see how big it is : )

Both choices are very good and won’t be disappointing for sure. Anyway would love to hear more comments from real users. Let’s keep talking here!

1 Like

It is hard to say that something is the definitive best. We all have our own needs for the gear we purchase. A lot of people loved the Six, but needed more channels, and SSL listened and delivered.

On top of that, they added an interface, mid bands on the EQ’s, and EQ’s on the stereo channels.I think when you look at the current price of the Six at $1799, or the price for the Six 500 series channel at $499, the Big Six comes across as a pretty good deal, although still a bit pricey and out of some peoples budgets.

Just a side note, there must be limiters on the channels before the converters. I was purposefully slamming the channels very hard, where it was all red on the ableton meter, and red on the board, and I never got that nasty digital clipping I’ve gotten with other interfaces when hitting it too hard. Granted, you don’t always want to do that because your signal will get a bit squashed, but, for live recording or studio jams where you don’t want to have to baby the interface/mixer, it is nice.

2 Likes

about limiter - interesting…
more info would be good on this…

Main issue for me is good routing opportunities. 12 mono channels with direct out and insert, 6(!) aux sends, 5/6 with stereo option and 4 sub groups. Pairing this with a Flock Audio Patch and you are all set. Thanks for posting about this mixer!

1 Like

yeah, those routing options are quite normal at least I’m got used to groups, more than 2 auxes, flexibility with channels etc… absolutely free to do what you need at the moment.

SSL will always push you to think what you really need at the moment, use patchbays, limitations, so one can always feel a bit incomplete… So something to consider… Decide if you want to be in super trendy analog heaven or just work with what you need on a quite good level.

Haven’t heard before about Flock Audio. How it exactly works with ProRack?

B6 has a major advantage with the USB integration. Switching from a recording mixer to working with stems from your DAW is a button press away. With Prorack, you have to setup a kind of complex patchbay routing system. But maybe I’m overcomplicating things.

Flock Audio Patch is a digitally controlled analog patchbay matrix which makes it easy to re-patch and stack outboard gear without cables. It is mention in a video posted earlier in this thread.

3 Likes