Solid State Logic six compact mixer

Does anybody use the Six for techno or house and could give me their opinion and insight? I would like to know your opinion on the sound. Mainly how it separates the sounds in summing (best if you could compare this to other analog summing boxes if its possible and you have worked with another box). I am thinking of getting the six or investing in a different summing box (probably vintage maker). The six would have the benefit of having more features. The vintage maker option is a whole lot cheaper.

The workflow would also interest me. The way I am thinking of using it is while mixing, using channels 1 and 2 basically as an insert on channels and printing them back to the daw. That way I’d have EQ and compression. At the end I’d run as many groups possible through the SSL at once to benefit from the summing. Is this how you use it?

I have never worked with a hardware SSL and would really like to hear how house or techno artists think of the six. Sound, workflow and whatever comes to your mind. I am not expecting coloration from this thing. I am thinking of tight sound and seperation.

Thanks in advance
Jason

1 Like

Got one of these now. Still experimenting with its use, but it’s not lacking in possibilities. This is a mixer for new ideas and unexplored ventures, as far as I’m concerned. I’m replacing my Heat with this one.

11 Likes

it’s inspiring to see music being produced in the tiniest of spaces.

1 Like

We’re literally talking 35 x 90 cm here :slight_smile:

1 Like

i’m fortunate enough to have a room dedicated to music gear, but i find i’m at my most creative using a couple of bits of gear in my bedroom. makes me think what’s the point in having a studio?

3 Likes

what’s the object under the plant pot?

1 Like

Hahaha I have my sub 37 overview sheet framed in the living room : )

1 Like

That’d be a Tivoli radio. Long broken, but I keep it because it’s so beautiful. Gives the space some balance, not just cords everywhere but a piece or two that’s there just because it’s lovely.

2 Likes

:metal:

1 Like

3 Likes

<3

Ok, so here’s a little A / B thing, just to give an idea of what I’m doing with it now. Perhaps it’s useful for someone else, too. Not exactly sure what I’m doing yet, so I don’t know if this is relevant to you all, but here goes:

What you’re hearing here is a recording from the Blackbox, using its individual outs into the SSL SiX.

BlackBox One Left - a loop from the Tanzmaus, through EQ and compression on the SSL, pumped slightly on the SSL for overdrive.

BlackBox One Right - the bass and cymbal, through EQ and compression on the SSL.

Blackbox Two Left And Right - the actual lead you’re hearing, the bleeps and bloops.

As the track begins, the SSL SiX is active with EQ and compression, on channel 1 and 2, as well as some panning to add to the stereo field. Channel 3 and 4 has slight panning and some trim, but not much.

Everything goes through the SSL SiX Bus Compressor in the end, and the master’s on a fairly normal level, not pumping it into red.

At the end of the track, I turn the SSL SiX features off, one by one. Since the track’s adapted to run through the SSL SiX, I’m not sure the comparison makes any sense since it’s obviously a disaster once the SSL goes off. So not sure how relevant the comparison is, other than showing how much you can do with a track by just running it through the SSL.

Here’s another one. Just a patch from the Prophet 12 this time, though its layers split and routed through four SiX channels for extra dimension. First sixteen bars are through the SiX, second sixteen bars are clean from the Prophet, no SSL involved at all.

5 Likes

I still don’t understand paying so much money for a six channel mixer (sixer?), but im trying. With a full featured bus compressor, it’d be more logical. I have a feeling that ppl are delusional in thinking that a mixer (with a compressor or not) can help them more that anything else in achieving a ‘sound’ or a feeling; it’s an audiophile magical thinking right there imo

6 Likes

It can actually sum 12 inputs btw.

So 6 stereo pairs

1 Like

If I’m delusional, don’t wake me up😊I really like it here😎

3 Likes

Do you think it’s only delusion that you often see SSL in all the top studios and not mackie?

I thought it had two mono and two stereo inputs, and a talkback?

Wow ok. The difference in the prophet patch!

I can’t unhear that.