Solid headphones under $100

My husband is constantly stealing my Sennheisers to listen to music while he programs. He says he doesn’t want a pair, but I’d like to get him some solid headphones for Valentine’s Day. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Among other things, he listens to Seven Lions-style “dubstep”/electronic, remixes of tracks with breathy female vocals that abuse side compression and make me sea sick, ambient (Robert Rich, etc.), metal, some classic rock, and classical.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

I just picked up a pair of AKG Y-50bt’s (Bluetooth and wired) and so far, they are great. Comfortable, great sound. Previously have used audio-technica m-50 and those old silver Sony DJ headphones that were ubiquitous in the early '00’s for points of reference.

Edit: under $100 on Amazon. Also, I’ve been amazed at the detail these provide. Very clear throughout the spectrum, with a touch of emphasis in the lows (but who doesn’t like that?).

1 Like

I’m a bit of a cheapskate and have used Superlux HD668B can for the past four years. They’re clones of some fancy-schmancy Sennheisers IIRC.

They sound great to me for general use, but might not be the best for full on music production.

edit: they’re super cheap, but great for the money, although you/ he would probably want to buy some replacement pads (the same ones for the Sennheisers).

2 Likes

My all time favorite headphones… I’ve always had a pair since the late 80’s: Sony MDR-7506

A very nice (and relatively cheap) upgrade for them is adding a set of the Beyerdynamic fabric ear pads. While the original ones are comfortable enough they do peel and wear out after 5 years or so. I prefer the fabric ones overall for longer listening sessions.

Hope that helps!

7 Likes

I also recommend the 7506 with Beyer pads.

If he has large ears, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro are also great.

2 Likes

Another vote for Sony MDR 7506

Great price, industry standard headphones

+1 for these Sony’s. I have a pair and love them.

AKG 550. Get them second hand. Most solid wired pair I’ve ever had!

1 Like

I still love the studio standard AKG 240’s. Well under $100 most places.

1 Like

Another for 7506.

I have those too, great value for little Money. But when longer weared they could start hurting a little…

1 Like

Another vote for the Sony. Either 7506 or 7510. I’m not using Beyer pads on them but Shure ones. I prefer them over the Beyer pads.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this @papertiger. I got me thinking about the headphones I use, and after reading a review of the Sony cans that are fan favourites here, I remembered that I had bought the Superlux cans before getting back into music - so I would use them for general media listening rather than detailed production.

From what I have read, and I would love to have this confirmed, the MDR-7506 phones have a relatively flat response with slightly emphasised mid-highs.

Perhaps if your husband is only listening to music for pleasure, rather than producing it, he should go for a pair that will better suit that purpose. I’ll probably be doing the opposite and getting the Sonys :wink:

1 Like

Sony MDR7510 is the updated version of 7506 and is way better than its predecessor. I use mine everyday from listen to music to mixing and have nothing to complaint.

1 Like

some newer model: the mackie mc 250 sound exellent for their price.

2 Likes

Something different than the classic choices listed:

status audio CB-1

A friend who mixes for a modest living raved about them to me, since they can be acquired for $50-70 depending on coupons etc. They are his mixing headphones because they have a pretty flat response…especially for this price. I dig them a ton, better than my Hifiman 400s open backs. Reviews of them and their pros and cons seem to be accurate to me.

Sam

1 Like

Anyone know good, comfy, good-sounding earbuds for gym, walking, etc.?

audio technica sport7tw they sit very solid and sound with a even frequency response, just the power is a bit short