Software for quickly editing/chopping samples?

I’m using Koala for all this stuff now too, a seriously useful little app, and the add-ons are worth every penny.

Koala is also available for macOS (it’s in the Mac desktop app store, not sure if it’s limited to M1 or not though), and Windows from the koala website as a free download.

1 Like

It depends if you want destructive vs non destructive.

Using a DAW for editing is going to be non destructive.

Using an audio editor can be destructive but incredibly fast. I used to use Wavelab for this but I’m sure Audacity can do the same thing.

Audio editors are designed to work on sample editing. You won’t get faster than this.

DAW editing, this is my opinion… ProTools has the best editing but they’ve got the stupid price model and I’d avoid if possible. Reaper is great too, but you’ll spend a bit of time to get past all the options. I can’t compare Bitwig, but I hear good things. I mostly work in Live and you can do it, but it’s a slow process.

If you’re on Mac, there’s also Zynaptiq’s Mac bundle which include Triumph 3 and Myriad.

Triumph is a dedicated audio editor. It wasnt my favorite over Wavelab, but it would also be quick for slicing and editing. The gem of the bunch is Myriad because you run macros to quickly edit multiple sample just by pressing a button.

https://www.zynaptiq.com/macaudioapps/

Yeah I already checked and it’s M1 only unfortunately. I’ll definitely be trying it on my ipad though

1 Like

Yeah I want simple destructive editing. I use Cubase and I’ve never really used it for sample editing because it seems a bit over complicated. I did have Wavelab years ago but never really got into it. My favourite one that I’ve used in the past was Cool Edit 2000 but that’s going back about 25 years!

And the successor to Cool Edit is stuck behind Adobe’s Creative Cloud.

Seriously give Audacity a try.

It doesn’t have a polished GUI but it does everything the expensive ones do.

I’m running it on my Intel i5 MacBook Pro without issues. I downloaded it from the App Store, it stated it was “compatible with this Mac”

1 Like

Latest audacity has a ‘beats and bars’ feature (which is in beta). Haven’t tried it yet, but I guess that should make it more friendly to musicians.

1 Like

Some great tutorials in this playlist From NervousCook$ too, I’ve been following them just to get a good overview of Koala’s capabilities. Now resitting them, with iPad and iPhone Koala instances at hand…

It’s kind of rediculous, but Bitwig doesnt seem to be able to export as mono. Aarg
So i have to export from BW and do that in Audacity afterwards

Twisted Wave, now both for Mac and Windows.

nice, but…subscription :frowning:

I know… They just moved to a subscription model… What a pity…

…yeah this stereo only thing…hmmmm…dunno…but in mixing options u got so many ways to make sure it ends up in mono fashion anyways, that i can’t really complain…and i don’t see why it’s really of any real intrest to want truu mono…

to get sounds back into elektron hw?..ob will do it…
to keep file sizes low?..does not make any real difference anymore with todays tech…
why do u want/need it mono exactly?

i’m more afraid, what will happen, once bitwig joins all the multichannel format capabilties for mixdowns and final rendering…

for now, i’m totally fine with their mid/side splitters, their multisplitters 2 stage or 3 stage, where any content can be treated in any way and their utitlity tool where u just turn down the witdth to make sure, that stereo feed contains mono information only…

all in all, i guess, with it’s overall modular approach and all it’s stacking and routing options, truu mono would make it too “complex” again…

and this “tool” plugin is part of all my channel layouts for example…great for proper gainstaging without loosing final bit resolution for very last volume finetuning on the channel faders and, well, great for making sure u got truu stereo information only where u want/need it, while all final rendering results in standard left/right containing audio files…

but a make it mono, no matter what,as a final file bounce option on export only, might be no big deal… we should ask for that…