So, what do you do?

Hello

I’m an SQA engineer at Avid, makers of Pro Tools. I’ve been testing and helping to developed Professional Audio features in Pro Tools since v. 4.0!

-M

2 Likes

I run a small translation/localization company in Tokyo. Been doing that for the past eight years. Before that, I was a technical editor at Pioneer.

2 Likes

I’m a sound designer employed at national TV station. I work on documentary and films. Nothing special really. Slovenian film production is really :confused: :-1: … Every day job that pays the bills and still allows me to have time to make music and work on other projects that I enjoy :wink:
Only downside to this is that one day I will have enough of working with audio 24/7. Sometimes it is frustrating and I just can’t turn on my gear at home because my ears and brains are tired…

3 Likes

I am a plant pathologist and I do research on wheat diseases.

2 Likes

I had along military career as an Officer in Nuclear Security Systems, then will just say did some dedicated work for the DOD (non-disclosure agreement in-place), and am now a recently Disabled/Retired Pensioned Veteran (USA) at age 50 getting back into music with an all hardware synth arsenal as a form of therapy for PTSD, with focal on ambient/atmospheric/experimental genre.
Classical piano background and learned synthesis back in 1982 on the real MS20 and owned a SCI Prophet, played out with other military members in various cover bands in the great 80’s until Desert Storm, then had to put all on back burner until last three years.
Living a peaceful life with tons of trees around and my studio Maine Coon Cat. Official No Drama Zone!

2 Likes

Some very interesting replies from a diverse group.

1 Like

I work shifts at a hospital, looking after the technical infrastructure and taking action when situations occur. I also run a farm 100km away from my city home, growing barley. Considering this, portable and self-contained music machines make a lot of sense. :+1:

2 Likes

wow! that was an awesome read so far! i’m a full-time student atm, worked previously as a recording/ mixing/ editing engineer in soho & midtown manhatten. now i have 2 young kids, and the music is the outlet. i didn’t record anything great though since almost 2 years now. i did play in the early 2000s in some technoclubs in germany. seems like a long time ago right now…

1 Like

Very cool and intersting thread here… its cun to see what elektron users are doin in real life…

For myself, I’m working at Ubisoft as an audio artist . Just love this job…

Been on the Assassin franchise for a couple years now. I’m finishing Black Flag at the moment.

Cheers guys!

2 Likes

I’m working as a graphic designer for an university in Montreal, mostly doing web design. I’m also finishing a master in communication - “experimental media” on the subject of experimental sound organisation where I developped, as part of my project, an elaborate Max patch which has become a composition tool to create complex and chaotic inspired music.

1 Like

I am a navigational officer on board Princess Cruises…
So hard to stay away from my machines :frowning:

Hopefully one day I will do only music !

1 Like

50% Graphic Security Designer (banks & governments) and 50% composer (for tv documentaries, contemporary dance ballets…). 100% Creativity :slight_smile:

1 Like

Science writer at a big laboratory … when our researchers discover something cool, I explain it in terms anyone can understand.

Fun aplenty, but at times the quotidian administrative crap can outweigh the enjoyment, and that’s when my gear starts to snarl. :wink:

1 Like

Audio DSP designer, working for Cisco Systems past 15 years on signal processing for Voice Over IP gateways, phones, videoconference units. Bit of acoustic work, bit of subjective testing. Basically, at night I add echoes to musical sounds, and during the day, I work to take them out of voices.

Small modular, too many boxes running in and out of sync. Love Kraftwerk, Depeche, Cure, early 80s synthpop sounds. Into synth history (LeCaine, Moog, Stockhausen, tape music, Radiophonics).

2 Likes

I study electronics. Not at university level though, I’m going to be a low-paid electronics repair guy. I’d LOVE to specialize in synths and stuff, but I’m afraid my expertise isn’t up to it, at least not yet.

2 Likes

I am a pastor in between jobs. Before that and years of studies I was a computer programmer, though.
For some it seems to be the ultimate dream to work with music production. I think I prefer to do it on free time basis, since I have the opportunity to do what I like rather than what others like.

3 Likes

Hey i agree to what you wrote. Making music in you free time is something else than when you have to do it for somebodey elses use. I mean it is great to earn money with it. It really is… But there must be creative freedom involved in order to enjoy what you do.

This is why i want to quit my job at tv as a sound designer and composer. It sucks… Too much horrible sounds go through my ears daily. And the music i have to make is not what i would make on my own. So then the music making just becomes a regular job like sorting the squids at the fish market…

Keep making music for your own joy.

1 Like

Definitely! Making music for your own joy is pure …AND a pure joy :wink: Although I’ve never had the fortune of making a living at it, I would imagine it to be satisfying only if I had the creative freedom to do things to my heart’s content…not many have that luxury I think.

Psychotherapist, hospice social worker and father of two wonderful girls here. Locking myself up in my studio after everyone else has gone to bed is the perfect end to long but rewarding days for me. I miss out on television, gaming, and other stuff but…meh. Music creation takes priority (after my family of course). A great way to refresh!

3 Likes

Jobless but happy sat in my pants day in day out eating egg sandwiches/porridge and crafting an album! gotta be done!

If anyone has any music related vacancies in the Leeds area I would be more then happy for work!

2 Likes

I’ve been a hairdresser for almost twenty years.

Around '96 or so, I was learning to play guitar when it occurred to me that most of my favorite music was synth-driven, so I chucked it and bought a synth instead (Ensoniq SQ-80). I’ve never looked back.

For a while, I wanted to make music my career, but now I think I’m better off having it be a no-pressure, just for fun situation.

4 Likes