So the OT is not the beat machine I was looking for

I use the micro with the software running inside ableton. Great combo though sometimes I miss the 8 nobs on the larger model for a more instant control.

1 Like

cant agree. Sounddesign is one of the things why i love the Digitakt! No limits, because you work with Samples and everythings super easy and super fast! Just mangle the sh**t out of your Samples, layer them, Resample and go - all done in Minutes! Never was a Machine from Elektron more hands-on when it comes to this!

Rytm MK1 is awesomely limited in terms of Sounddesign because its analog Machines get used so fast that they all sound the same for you after a while. Sample Transfer is also a mess. And lets not speak about the Pads :wink: MK2 might get all of this sorted out. Fingers crossed.

I disagree. Have you checked out the synthetics sound pack for example? Quite alot of scope IMHO

2 Likes

i’ve more or less carved the sh**t out of the analog Machines mate - i even made Ambient with them :wink: Own the Rytm MK1 since 2014 already. Check my Youtube Channel :wink: Its like it always is with analog circuits: They are limited in the sounds they can create and one day you simply have enough! With Samples this can never happen as you can sound like everything - it only depends on the Samples used. So you come up with fresh ideas each and every time.

Since the Rytm MK2 can now also sample (and resample) things may change in the future. Fingers crossed, as said before :wink:

I think, if we search for that overkill kick-drum sample, the most hardware rhythm maschines would have a hard time to satisfy our dreams, even the expensive Tempest.

If I recall some of the tutorials on kick-drum desing correctly, I would say, there has been heavy processing and overlaying in a DAW first before uploading the sample to the instrument. Even legendary TR-808/909 sounds are often not taken as is.

Let’s be honest. Do we need for each track a complete different sound-design kit? There is nothing to say against it, but at the end of the day a good groove is not only defined by extraordinary signature sounds. What I find boring on electronic beats sometimes is that we often listen to the same rhythmic pattern over and over, which have been augmented with funky sounds only … or … exchange one rhythmic sound for another (like clap for snare) and call it a different genre :frowning:

IMO there is nothing as flexible and versatile as a synth voice, if patched and modulated well. If we use the option of all p-locks creatively too, the Rytm is fantastic. :smiley:

drum synths generally can’t do everything alone via synthesis, well not real well anyway, so samples are required to fill in these gaps.
One of the advantages of the RYTM for sure, or any drum synth that can play samples as well as synthesis. Best of both worlds

1 Like

I agree here and the Rytm MK2 looks really nice in this fileld but the price… A bit too much for me for a drum machine.

Do you need sampling though? RYTM mk1 plays samples.
RYTM mk1 price should drop like A4 soon.

totally with you! but what i meant (and again not got across as it seems :smiley: ) is: the sounds are naturally limited by the design of the analog circuits. and no matter which sound you create - it always has a certain timbre to it, which is normal and desired. but it limits you. its not about using totally overlayered drumsounds typical for modern electronic music - its about coming up with something completely different every time. and this is simply not possible with the analog circuits alone :wink: and layering one single sample on top of them extends the possibilities just slightly.

but sampling and resampling changes everything. this way you can use the analog drumsounds in new and very creative ways and you can add existing samples to them - and you can resample everything back into the machine and repeat the process :slight_smile: . thats why im interested in how all of this is solved on the new MK2. for me, this will be a game changer i think.

2 Likes

I agree and it’s as always related to, how we do our work and music. I tend to use my AR for rhythmic jobs only and create all the other sounds with different synths (analoge and digital) or samplers. If I want to sample or re-sample, I use my OT, a MPC, or a software sampler. If I can tweak my AR to some interesting kits to built a rhythmic foundation, which grooves and sit’s well in the mix, I am absolutely happy :slight_smile:

You are right, that a subtractive synth voice can not do anything, but I wouldn’t call it limiting. There are very different and expressive timbres possible, which other sound generators just can’t do. I would say, as long as we are not using something like an OT for sampling, we will face limitations.

That’s what I thought but they are not dropping THAT much.
I can have the Maschine Micro for $320 brand new delivered or $599 for the MPC touch. That is a huge difference even though none of those two can provide analog stuff which is not a must for me anyway.

yep, good points. if you use several machines and combine their strengths, sky’s the limit - obviously :wink: i like working self-contained though. so im trying to carve the most out of a single machine and hence: i need this flexibility. may have to do with the fact that im just too old to get my head around when im connecting all the machines i have :smiley: it would overwhelm me :wink:

1 Like

Could be that we are about the same age … :wink: But I hear you … and your point is as valid as others.

Fun-fact … sometimes friends ask at their first time visit to my little studio, why, for heaven’s sake, I need all those keys, boxes, buttons, faders, flashing lights, cables, and what not … and why I need to make music in an environment, which reminds them of an aircraft cockpit, rather then picking one of my guitars and make music as others do. I fear, I enjoy a kind of a nerd-ish attitude :wink:

4 Likes

haha, yeah - either this or you have a passion for gathering … sometimes i feel that im infected too :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah … I have definitely catched a nerd-y virus, which has genetically mutated to add a collectors gene too :smiley: Absolutely guilty there … :wink: … but it feels sooooo gooood :smiley:

1 Like