So the OT is not the beat machine I was looking for

Obviously it isn’t one :smiley: I love it but not for beats so I’m still looking.
Samples are a must.
My question is:
anybody here got the MPC Touch? Opinions?
I don’t need the live that is for sure.
I’m just trying to figure out how does it work with cubase.
I miss my MPC 2000/2000XL pads a lot and this seems like a interesting choice.

Cheers.

Keep the OT and buy a 2000xl again. Whatever weird drum loop you’ve designed that doesn’t have velocity pop it back in the 2000xl, chop, play with velocity and repeat.

They are more expensive than the touch so makes no sense if you ask me.
Also running SCSI drives/ZIP’s is something I would like to avoid :smiley:
You can mod it for USB and so on but at that point you are pushing some serious $$.

1 Like

if you want to stay with :3lektron:, the Rytm is pretty killer… the bonus in that is that you can hook them up via MIDI and the patterns will follow each other… plus the workflow is very similar

same with Digitakt, altho its more of a one-shot sampler beat machine… much less fx and sound design potential, altho its certainly not non-existent

1 Like

At this point i scratched DT off. Won’t bring anything new to the table.
OT covers it.
I like the idea of Rytm but I’m not really into analog drums. The MK2 certainly looks more appealing but the price puts me off.

I’d recommend a MPC 1000 or a Roland SP404 to pair the OT with… But if you insist on a controller approach, maybe maschine would be better? Last I heard, NI is getting serious with the maschine software updates, while Akai is still futzing around trying to make 2.0 bug-free…

I like my MPC live quite abit but the software/firmware still needs work.

The rytm is a great drum sampler, with the analog multimode filters, overdrive etc, but its layering capabilities are quite limited… mk II will have internal resampling which will undoubtedly help alot tho! But if you aint into synthesizing sounds, dunno if I could recommend it…

I’m looking at it vs the MPC touch.
I like the size.

If there weren’t a standalone MPC, I’d go maschine any day

+1 Maschine if you’re working with a computer

1 Like

Which one you guys recommend?
Studio / reg or mini?
DAW 110% and just for beats.
Price of the mini is amazing.

I’ve seen maschine micros going for 150€ second hand in my area. Certainly affordable.

One friend of mine got the regular model, then upgraded to studio but downgraded back to the regular. So AFAIK the regular is the nicest, as far as mobility is concerned. Some diehards might love the studio tho?

1 Like

What about nord drum ?
Cool thing to be able to use OT MIDI seq for drums… there are plenty of drummachines that would shine with this sequencer…

2 Likes

Studio is probably nice but I’d go with the regular controller. Skip the “mikro”… the extra controls and screen information on the regular controller will make for a much better experience.

1 Like

If you do go for the Maschine I would definitely go with the regular, I have the Mikro and hardly use the controller. It takes a long time to go through all the menus and settings and I found myself using mainly the mouse!

You can use external samples, and optionally add a subtle layer of analogue drums to spice them up.

Maschine really is a great tool. Probably the fastest way to lay down a beat, I have ever tried. And the pads are great quality. It lacks the charm/magic of Elektron boxes, but so does a lot of things… :slight_smile:

You havn’t told us what you need to accomplish exactly … beat making is possible with so many different tools today.

If you want to perform a finger-drumming style, you need good pads. MPC and Maschine comes to my mind. IMO the Maschine software is more advanced and stable then MPC V 2.0. Ableton Live with Push would also be a great alternative.

If you consider Maschine, I would suggest to get at least Maschine (regular). It’s quite close to a MPC experience (I have got both) and it provides the advantage of the bigger display and more knobs and buttons, if compared to the “mikro”.

You could also get a second hand MPC 2500 or 5000. Both have harddisk and compact flash support and connect to a computer via compliant USB.

What other instruments do you currently have?

I have midi issues with the OT like I described in another topic.
I can’t keep it in sync and according to elektron support my DAW is the issue.
Now I’m not sure how is that possible as I have other instruments (including A4) syncing perfectly but looks like my OT is going back because of that. I ran out of ideas this morning. It bums me out.

So now I’m down to Maschine vs MPC touch and possibly DT (I’m not getting it till OB is out and running flawless) if I do send the OT back.
Frustrated lol.

these aren’t the droids you were looking for

2 Likes