SNES Sample Chains

Hey all, it’s a cold and boring week for me so I’ve decided to extract the samples from lots of SNES games, sort and arrange them into chains for the Octatrack, and upload them here. Not quite sure about the legality of this so probably best to keep these to your ‘freeware’ compositions.

The tool I’m using is called SNESSOR95 if anybody wants to get involved and do their own - some games work better than others for whatever reason. Cheers!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_dkIH5xlcuPd0Z1bnFiYmNKekU

17 Likes

These should be tons of fun! I’m gunna chop them for Rytm. I’ve recorded some Zelda Link to the Past themes & sounds that I could post if you want em?

1 Like

That would be sweet - I tried to do Link to the Past already but the ROM didn’t contain many decent samples.

1 Like

Earthbound is up, divided into 6 chains because there were around 200 samples, lots of really tasty sounds. Categories are drum hi, drum lo, drum mid, music, tuned (half bass, half lead), other. All have the slice number at the end of the filename.

Chrono Trigger next.

6 Likes

I love this forum

4 Likes

Nice, you rock!

1 Like

Nice one thanks.

1 Like

Thanks pals. Chrono Trigger done, Super Metroid up next. It’s quite amazing to me that the composers were able to squeeze so much variety out of so few samples. There’s an interesting tool called SPCplay that lets you load a SNES rom and isolate all 8 channels of each song in the soundtrack. Very interesting for composition ideas, especially with tools like the Analog Four, which shares with the SNES a tracker-like workflow and limited number of tracks.

2 Likes

just got this program up with wine on mac… lush! thanks :smiley:

try Rise Of The Robots…

1 Like

Nice! Never played this one but the soundtrack is bumpin’ :joy: Just done it and uploaded it, along with super metroid, some nice vocal one shots in both!

1 Like

it’s a very bad game… technically it’s great (even shows video clips… on the SNES!) but it must be one of the worst beat em up games ever made. But, I loved it for the music.

Nice work, thanks! Secret of Mana would be one I’d be interested in. Also F-Zero, and Super Aleste (aka Space Megaforce).

I did the theme music for a videogame podcast a while back and used a few waves from Star Fox 64. Instant vibes.

1 Like

Great music and interesting podcast! Hyper Light Drifter was on of my favourite games of last year :thup:

Just uploaded Secret of Mana and Super Aleste, F-Zero was not so interesting unfortunately.

1 Like

Amazing, thank you.

Woow, this is super cool, I’ve been thinking of doing this but haven’t gotten around to it. Many thanks! If you’re taking suggestions, Donkey Kong Country 1 and/or 2 and Star Fox would be amazing!

2 Likes

this is great :slight_smile:

any way to include super mario kart?

i’ve been wanting that mario circuit brass patch for a long time now.

1 Like

Hey mate, thanks for this! the link is down tho, any chance you could fix it?
id love to get my hands on this sounds,
thx!

2 Likes