Snare recommendations?

Any recommendations on good soundpacks with snare sounds ? How would you go about making making a snare sound?

1 Like

I’m currently working on a sound pack for digitone and have made already some snares and claps. But it’s not finished yet, I’ll let you know when it’s done. Till then there are some snares that I made for the factory sound content for the digitone keys. Definitely a good starting point and orientation for you to make something new.

7 Likes

Admittedly this is mostly based on subtractive synthesis rather than FM, but it will tell you all about the theory of snare drum synthesis. Good background knowledge to have, even if you still have to do a lot of work yourself to apply it to your chosen instrument!

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/synthesizing-drums-snare-drum

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/practical-snare-drum-synthesis

4 Likes

I have the bionic walk soundpack, it’s great but its lacking a more traditional sounding snare

I recommend Venetian Snares!

5 Likes
3 Likes

Your Mini-SD sound in the factory content for the Keys is my go-to starting point :+1:

2 Likes

I have his latest with Daniel Lanois

1 Like

I’ve been using the stock digitone snares and editing them and then the ones from the Auvrel mindmelt album. I usually try and create a project with tons of drum samples including all the snares I think sound good in the sound pool and then load up the sound pool when I make a new song so I can focus on creating my own synths. I would try that uncanny valley pack too !

1 Like

https://www.wavealchemy.co.uk/paperskins-snare-toolkit/pid92/tab=reviews/

This one, it’s a great price for what you’re getting. Have a listen.

I can’t post two link apparently, but search " Drum Synthesis 101 with FXpansion Tremor - Episode 02 - Vintage Snare Drum" on youtube. You should be able to follow that on pretty much anything, it’s a good one, trust me :wink: Plus they have more for different snare types.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll check it out after work

Yeah that’s a great idea. I’ve been listening and loving his stuff. I downloaded on Bandcamp but have yet to upload the sysex files

1 Like

The digitone synthesis can make any snare you want IMO :slight_smile: I have a rytm but lately been digging the DN snares more !

2 Likes

Sick, wish I had the cash for a rytm. But the dn does so much, I don’t really need anything else. I use it with bitwig and a midi keyboard. Polyend tracker is tempting though

1 Like

I personally like FM drums more recently it’s nice having both but you can do similar sounds on the DN that you can synthesize on the rytm so don’t GAS over the rytm too hard ! Throw the money you would for a rytm on that polyend tracker and send midi to DN :wink: lol

1 Like

Samples from Mars have plenty of snares. Buy their entire library during one of their ridiculously cheap sales and take it from there.

1 Like

The snares on Digitone are the only thing that I don’t like from this machine

1 Like

Lol time to get a Rytm then! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

It can be tricky to get good noise sources on the DN, as it tends to retain pitch content from the modulator. One of my tricks to get a good starting noise source is to use the following settings:

[SYN1]
Algo: 8
Ratio B: 16/16
AB Harm: All the way right
Mix: Full Y

[LFO]
Dest: Syn Pitch All
Wave: Random (last one on the right)
Speed and Depth: Max
Mult: 2k

You can get interesting tonal charactistics by messing with things like the feedback amount, the mix, distorition, the speed and depth, chaging the harmonic, etc. Some of the LFO mod destinations give some interesting results too, mult instead of pitch for example.

After that most snares are just about setting your amp envelope to your liking.

6 Likes

Here is an alternative if you don’t want to give up an LFO, though the result can be quite unpredictable:

From init sound

[SYN1]
Algo: 8
Mix: Full Y

[SYN1-Page 2]
BI: -1

I find the stability can depend quite a bit on what note you use to trigger it. Start from F on Octave 0 (button 12 using the digitone as a keyboard). Sometimes turning off the phase reset on Syn2-Page2 seems to help, but it might be my imagination.

You can get some really broken EM-like and ratchety noise sounds by messing with this a bit. Also because it’s kind of breaking the algorythm a bit, it might stop working as nicely in a future patch.

2 Likes