Smallest interface with at least 6 inputs?

I just got a TC Helicon Blender… if you can look past the miniplug in/out, you can have 6 stereo inputs (all recordable independently on iOS) + 4 stereo outputs, works on batteries, super small and portable, works standalone (haven’t test this yet but it’s supposed to work that way), has a built-in compressor and a cute mic to talk to your friends (the outputs are actually headphone outputs, it’s really oriented to jamming with friends).
All this for 129 usd.
I’ve barely tested it, but it seems great and actually quite well built. Comes with a power supply as well. I’m somwhat surprised it’s not mentioned more often.
EDIT: I can’t recall, but I think you have to power it with the PSU or batteries (it doesn’t work just off lightning power).

2 Likes

A second hand MOTU UltraLite MK3 will have you sorted.
Hooked up to a laptop (USB/FireWire) or stand alone.
Class compliant? Not sure…

1 Like

The included XY Mic attachment has a little 1/8th” stereo mini jack line input so if you don’t need the extra two xlr jacks you don’t have to buy anything extra to get 6 line inputs multitracked.

4 Likes

The smallest interface with 6 inputs must be the Zoom F6.

The outputs aren’t great though.

edit: OK, that TC Helicon Blender is really small.

2 Likes

nope, unfortunately doesn’t work with iPad… that’s my main interface - I thought of updating for MK4 (or the newer MK5) but I can’t justify the difference.

1 Like

came to say this.
stupid easy and flexible.

k-mix specs

1 Like

k-mix can do phantom power on two channels + there are 6 more.

IJFW with Live.

1 Like

KMix = Mixer w/ NO Moving Parts! + Phantom Power + Midi Controller

You can’t lose.

1 Like

Dope. You’ve rocked it with an iPad?

I’ve done some basic recording with garage band on an iPhone, but that’s not my regular workflow.
I don’t have a zoom recorder - instead I use a Centrance mixerface (highly recommended), and I send the post fader mix to the mixerface over usb, no problem. On live, I can record separate channels. On a Mac, the Kmix software is very easy to work with.
Their support team answers emails, too.

1 Like

IIRC those were quite expensive though

That reminds me of a significant limitation which led me to buy the Scarlett 18i8. I sent this message to Roland Support:

Issue:
I cannot connect the Go:Mixer Pro and other USB gear to the iPad at the same time.
I use the Apple Lightning to USB3 Connector with the iPad. It has a USB-A jack and a Lightning jack. If I plug a MIDI keyboard into the USB-A jack, then the only place i can plug the Go:Mixer Pro USB cable is into the Lightning jack. However, it does not power up when I do this.

Can you please suggest a workaround?

Reply from Roland

Thank you for contacting us. We understand how this would be useful for you. However the Go:Mixer Pro needs to be connected directly to an iPad or phone and is not compatible with 3rd party connectors or with other devices connected at the same time unfortunately.

We do hope this helps clarify though.

Kind regards,

Roland Customer Support

Of course after I got the 18i8, MOTU announced the Ultralite Mk5. I was seriously tempted for a while.

But I decided to keep the 18i8 and instead apply the money that would have gone to the Ultralite towards a Zoom H6, as I don’t have that type of device and have a practical use for it.

1 Like

I have the mk5. First motu. Surprisingly big. Kmix is a really good option though since you have the mixer aspect too

I’ve been happy with my Steinberg UR44. Compact box. 6 INs and class compliant. I use it with my iPad all the time.

2 Likes

+1 for the UR44. Nice piece of kit for the price.

Either that or a second hand RME Fireface. Converters still hold up, and the preamps are clean and transparent.

Edit: RME isn’t compact, but it’s 1U.

2 Likes

Ooops :slight_smile:
Thanks for clarifying :relaxed:

The H6’s X-Y mic capsule has a 3.5mm jack hidden on the side of it, intended for lav mics. However you can use it for stereo line level signals, without needing to buy the EXH-6. I did this for a year or so to give me a total of 6 inputs. It’s a small and very versatile solution, allowing you to multitrack record onto SD card or use it as a class compliant audio interface with 6 inputs (2 stereo + 4 mono). The pre-amps are high quality, pretty low noise and overdrive quite nicely for bass synths etc.

It can do phantom power on the mic inputs too.

The whole thing can be powered from USB.

3 Likes

I think I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2nd gen 18i8 for like $220. The MOTU is great, but it’s a bit overkill for what I need with my iPad/traveling setup. The KMix is cool, but it’d need a separate MIDI IO for it, and I don’t need the mixer since I’m routing everything through AUM and have enough physical controls between the DN/DT/Medusa.

@slicetwo Maybe a TC Helicon Blender is something you can use? It has 12 input / 8 output stereo mixer with a USB multichannel audio interface. And it’s cheap…

2 Likes

I checked it out. I realized I’ll need some mic pres and MIDI IO.

@dshipp Ya. I was considering something like that. It’s pretty awesome.