Smallest external keyboard/controller for M:C

Personally, I’m using the Korg NanoKeys keyboard, connected via USB to the Apple iPhone/iPad hub with a USB splitter where I also connect the Model:Cycles.

Through the MidiFlows app, you can even set up macro buttons on the keyboard to switch channels. Someday I’ll make a tutorial for it.

1 Like

Is the Minilab 3 now the best option?

Midi out, not just usb
4 faders (sadly not 6)
Velocity-sensitive keys

And unlike the editor for Launchkey Mini, “Every editable control on MiniLab 3 includes a MIDI Channel parameter.”

Anyone mention this thing? It’s cool with the M:C OMX-27 MIDI Keyboard - Full Kit

2 Likes

sold out
very intriguing though, thanks for posting this

1 Like

Of course, and sorry they are sold out! I expect they’ll be back in stock again - DenkiOto has good support, and they have other projects going that are quite active. It’d be worth checking back in a week or two.

do you know if those keys are clicky (would assume) or somehow not clicky?

Hi! Maybe use a Roland S1 and have a great little synth on top? Or J6 for bigger keys.

1 Like

They look cool. But that site has listed them as sold out for a good long while.

I’d call them not clicky. They’re mechanical keyboard keys and make a little bit of noise, but they have a smooth, clickless travel all the way through like a MIDI keyboard.

Just got an update from Discord:

It’s gonna be mid-December for another batch. I’m away in Japan in November so I’ll be getting everything wrangled when I get back.

2 Likes

I’ve found plain old Keystep to be the best compromise between playability, features , and size.

For different reasons, I am looking at replacing the LK Mini with the Minilab 3. The full size Launchkey is highly tweakable, including keystrokes - it’s really awesome. The Launchkey Mini - just ain’t. Plus the keys are really bad. Not that I’d look for outstanding keys in a mini keyboard. But if the pots & keys are better on the Minilab, and it has some custom mappings via MIDI centre, then it’s a definite upgrade, since you also get the screen and the faders.

2 Likes