Small form factor Limiter for live use?

EHX Platform and Operation Overlord coming this way. My Rytm is away for repairs and I’ve been a good boy and worked very hard lately so I thought I could treat myself to a present to pair with my MD :wink:

Expect some comparisons soon. Also with AH.

2 Likes

And I may very well have found an ideal high end solution - which I’ll be getting tomorrow :partying_face:

I’ll keep you posted.

So, I found a used T. C. Finalizer in really good condition for a very good price and it does exactly what I have been wanting. I have mainly used the compressor so far and I’m very happy with the results. Bypassing it makes my tracks sound a bit dull and undefined :grin:

Haven’t made any full comparisons yet but it sounds clean with no pumping and squashes my signal all the way down to -25 dB without distorting! I also love that it has three bands and so I can compress the bass a little extra to give it a bit more volume (make up). I love it so far and everything can be stored in the 128 presets. I don’t see it as a mastering unit but as a great piece of outboard gear but I’ll see if it can still deliver good results for mastering. It’s not too big and I can still bring it with me along with my Elektron machines.

1 Like

I use the Operation Overlord on DT. It sounds great on drum machines. It’s not at all transparent or subtle tho - it sucks out a lot of bass. Fantastic dirty mids tho, the distortion has a timbre to it that I really like. Probably not for everyone though - one for the Muslimgauze fans rather than the smooth house crowd :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 for Muslimgauze :slight_smile:

Operation Overlord: Yes that’s exactly what I found. Sounds good and great tone tweaking with the EQ. But severe high-pass on the input. The bass band knob is really low-mid, not low. High pass is also present with the wet/dry knob at 100% dry so there’s no mixing in of the original low end on the pedal itself. A shame, really. And not advertised in any documentation that I’ve seen. Of course when bypass is on you get the clean dry signal, but that’s no solution. I intended to use it on my MD and I thump out some serious sub low from it, so that plan is not going through.

I’ve also played my guitar through it and liked it a lot. Don’t have a decent distortion for it since I sold my Sherman Filterbank, so I’ll likely keep the pedal for this purpose.

I’ve split of my discussion of the EHX pedals since it’s more about distortion than the limiting that this thread is about: EHX Platform & Operation Overlord: stereo dynamics & drive

Prism sound make an inline analog soft clip limiter. Given their reputation, these should sound very good. Not cheap, but still cheaper than pedals and rack/desktop options…and they fit in your pocket.

http://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/products_subs/overkiller.php

1 Like

I’m quite exited about this new small form factor compressor with great side chaining possibilities which will be much easier to bring along than my T. C. Finalizer 96K. It is still a kickstarter project but scheduled to be released in November. It looks like it could be a very good choice as a master compressor/limiter in a hardware setup.

5 Likes

This also caught my eye. The killer feature is that you can trigger sidechaining via midi, usb, footswitch or CV, and then control the length of the trigger on the box itself. Seems much more convenient than sending an audio signal. Shame about the touch buttons!

1 Like

Woah. I immediately backed this thing for one of the beta units. This is exactly what I’ve always wanted.

1 Like

Would be a sick send effect.

Whoa, this is definitely interesting. The design is really slick. I wonder how it will perform at the end of the chain. Watching for now, 27 days left in the campaign.

Maybe as a backer, you might know…
It doesn’t appear to have any side chain send/return for filtering/HPF, does it?
Hmmmm…

semi-related: Back on the Bogner Harlow tip, I’ve been sending some of the “SBX” kick patches in the Analog Keys through it, then back into the external input. Harlow compression and saturation was just what these kicks needed. Whoa Nelly these are some BIG kicks.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m mostly interested in using this one for side-chaining the kick drum to duck the rest of the audio every time it gets triggered.

1 Like

Thanks Soarer for flagging this conversation and really fun to see some backers here :slight_smile: I am the guy behind Suonobuono.

Trying to answer some of the questions above: I designed the nABC primarily as a flexible hardware sidechain/ducking tool, live or in studio, for synths or other line instruments. The main innovation is that instead of having to get crazy adjusting thresholds, trigger sounds and cables for the sidechain signal, one can directly trigger sidechain from a gate, MIDI, USB, audio or a pedal, whatever you have at hand in your workflow, and adjust the ducking envelopes A/R arbitrarily on the panel.

Having said this, the nABC can be used also as a “normal” compressor (sidechain from line input), or even as a combined normal+sidechain compressor all in one, with some limitations. For example one can compress vocals and sidechain them to a beat, using a single nABC.

I did not include a peak limiter because I did not primarily design the nABC to be used on the master. I will however publish a video on the Kickstarter page in the next days, where you will see it in action as a normal compressor or limiter, including A/B with other gear, so you can get your own idea :slight_smile:

6 Likes

uhhh! that’s what I am looking for :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
thanks (just need to check the financial status)
[GAS feeling coming …]

@suonobuono
another question: the inputs/outputs are these balanced or unbalanced connections?

:slight_smile: audio connections are unbalanced

1 Like

I just picked up the EHX Platform to add to my RNC+HPF SC Loop cord for my dark trinity live set rig. I was also looking at a DBX rackmount comp/limiter (used) for around the same price. I almost returned it after 2 nights of trying to get it to do clean peak limiting. My initial attempts were very colored and heavily saturating the low end which wasn’t my reason for purchasing it. I left it for about a week then decided to spend a few minutes this past weekend seeing if I could get it to work — SUCCESS. I’m not sure how but I managed to get it to not only do clean limiting, but its also adding a fait bit of boost in overall level without letting peaks through.

Probably one of my happiest moments in a long time to see/hear my liveset coming out of a DJ mixer next to a commercial/mastered track and they’re both the same loudness without me having to push the OT/RNC to their limits.

:grin::grin::grin::grin:

After my gig this Friday when I have more time in the studio I’ll snap some pics of the settings and post some audio examples :cb::cb:

5 Likes

Please do, curious to see it!
So the RNC + hpf alone was not enough?

1 Like