Slicing on transients?

No one asked for help on how to manually slice… [/quote]
I’m sorry.
Would anyone like to ask me a question :confused:

No one asked for help on how to manually slice… [/quote]
I’m sorry.
Would anyone like to ask me a question :confused: [/quote]
I would if I was really into the boring setup phase of slicing and trimming, but I’d rather have an auto-slice to transients and get to jamming right away with a tweak of the slice points here or there. Once again, if I wanted to be an accountant I would have gone to school for that. I just wanna jam - seems like the OT is an accountant’s dream machine!

slice to transients with a sensitivity in and a sensitivity out parameter would be fantastico.

timestretch a loop by re-pitching would be equally as fantastico.

derailing threads is awesome too but anyway let’s heal the world and ourselves with compassion, awesomeness, variety and similarity on occasion.

For slicing on transients, it’s not ideal, but if you do it in software and export the slices as samples, you can import it into the octachainer software (in downloads - link http://www.elektronauts.com/files/download/188 ) which preserves the slice points when you load it into the OT. It’s also really useful for creating drum kits.

[/quote]
Yeah I thought about exporting the slices out of recycle and chain them in the octachainer but it still is lots of work :frowning:

For slicing on transients, it’s not ideal, but if you do it in software and export the slices as samples, you can import it into the octachainer software (in downloads - link http://www.elektronauts.com/files/download/188 ) which preserves the slice points when you load it into the OT. It’s also really useful for creating drum kits.

[/quote]
Yeah I thought about exporting the slices out of recycle and chain them in the octachainer but it still is lots of work :([/quote]
You already have to do the annoying usb disk transfer to get the samples on to the octatrack, you might as well prep and eq your loops while you are at it. I suspect that even if they did a transient slice function, you’d still need to manually fix the slices anyway, so it really wouldn’t save that much time.

[/quote]
Yeah I thought about exporting the slices out of recycle and chain them in the octachainer but it still is lots of work :([/quote]
You already have to do the annoying usb disk transfer to get the samples on to the octatrack, you might as well prep and eq your loops while you are at it. I suspect that even if they did a transient slice function, you’d still need to manually fix the slices anyway, so it really wouldn’t save that much time.[/quote]
After the initial audio pool transfer most of my OT fodder has been sampled straight in to the box. The thought of preparing samples by going out of OT to pc then back again to do any sample editing is generally a huge no for me as far as workflow/killing the vibe… Slice to transients (with auto zero crossing/fades options) would save a ton of time when deep in a sampling session on OT recording/slicing tons of drum loops and other stuff… Don’t think it’s ever gonna happen though. Like I’ve said before, OT is a keeper, but she cab be an annoying stubborn, long-winded bitch :wink: Hoping for miracles with the new roland sampler… Doubt it’ll be deep enough judging from rolands recent stinginess with hardware features, but you never know…

Last I looked posts about this were in 2015…reading manual and watching videos–is it still not possible to slice by transient detection as a single function?

This won’t happen as there won’t be any more meaningful additions to the OS …

1 Like

Avantronica - what makes you so confident about this: " This won’t happen as there won’t be any more meaningful additions to the OS …" ?

Not doubting it, just interested. Love my OT and it would be nice if development continued.

Click on the post he linked. You’ll read a message from an Elektron employee saying there is a bug fix planned but there won’t be any more new features or major changes for Octatrack as the processor cycles are maxed out…

2 Likes

This is a long overdue feature and quite frankly I dunno why it is not there. Recycle software was doing this is 2004. Cant we get locks to snap to transient with sensitivity rather than creating equal slices, is this so much to ask?

Slice grid as a zero crossing option.
You can adjust start points holding Function to match zero crossings…

There are many things to asks. Not my priority.

1 Like

So say I have a very shuffly, non quantized loop with 64 transients in it. I am supposed to slice entire sample, then go after each slice and manually tune and move the start on each slice so i wont have glitch?

Yes, I think so. This makes me appreciate all the early 90s jungle that was made on Akai S900s and the like – can you imagine how long it took to chop breaks on those :laughing: It’s far easier on the OT. Yeah, it’s tedious, but I find it to be like “meditation” :wink: If Elektron put out an update with transient detection I would be pretty happy though.

Yeah, it’ll be quicker on a computer with transient detection. If I do stuff like this on a computer I use Renoise – it’s so fast to chop and sequence on that. The transient detection isn’t too bad either, and you can adjust the sensitivity.

3 Likes

This makes me appreciate all the early 90s jungle that was made on Akai S900s and the like – can you imagine how long it took to chop breaks on those"
Yes I can, I was doing it on Akai S3200 back in 95-6 which is still in my rack lol.

2 Likes

Awesome! Then you definitely know. It’s still easier on the Octatrack, right?

Personally I just use the “create slice grid” function and then go through each slice and adjust the start and and points of each. I think it’s already been mentioned, but you can hold FUNC while adjusting start/end times and it will align with 0-crossings. Also, overlapping slices are allowed, which I find useful.

2 Likes

Wavosaur > transient dectection > Export > Import in Octachainer = Transient slices.

Personally I prefer to set all my slices manually with zero crossing and preview, eventually with a previous slice grid.

1 Like

the ‘wrong’ slices are where it gets interesting.

3 Likes

Just realized that since this could be done as a fully offline function (’PLAYBACK WILL BE STOPPED. CONTINUE?’), there’s probably very little actually stopping this technically…

Can’t even compare. Getting the basic loop sliced or flexed would take some time, and introduce a lot of extra artifacts :slight_smile: But I still own that sampler (converted floppy drive to usb) simply because I can always recognise the sound of that AKAI samplers range, which I grew to love. Now as for the workflow, of course, modern devices are way more user friendly. To be honest, when it comes to recording and slicing a beat, something like NI Maschine engine is the best thing out there. I just wonder why Elektron couldn’t introduce transient detection and add it as an option. The perfect 16/64 slices lead to interesting happy accidents, as Sezare56 mentioned. Yes I am doing the same, if I have a long drum sample I want to slice, I would createa a grid and manually (using FUNC for zero crossings) tweak slice start. Yes, the fact that slices are allowed to overlap is helpful, but that was in the basic concept of the slice and flex engine Recycle established long time ago. I thought there could be a slicker solution, given OT was designed and upgraded in the last ten years.

1 Like