Slices Playing Back at Wrong Tempo

Hi, I’ve swapped a new sample into a flex machine that i “cleared slot + removed sample from project”. Sliced the sample in 32 . and the slices are playing al jittery. like they are the wrong tempo or something.

spent 2hrs trying to fig out - and i’m lost.

I “think” that the previous sample was 4 bars length and this one is only 2 - if that helps.

:worried: :worried:

Have you checked the sample attributes in the audio editor? These attributes are normally stored in the slot and may be left over from the previous sample.

1 Like

yes, it’s set to direct.
loop on
time stretch normal :wink:

What’s about the “original tempo” setting? If this is left over from the previous sample and the new one would require a different “original tempo” timestretch can’t work correctly.

1 Like

This was a suspicion.
I cant remember but its likely the sample i removed was maybe a different bar length

I’ve removed a few samples from slots, so not sure which machines are ‘untarnished’ and which aren’t.

is there a way of totally wiping a flex machine of this tempo thing?

I’ve tried fiddling with the ‘original tempo’ setting but not working.

the slices sound like they’re being cut off.

saved all machine & sample & project settings i can and its seems to be getting better… altho i this is really a work around…

a 32 sliced loop needs to be triggered with 64 trigs to sound normal.

which … doesn’t sound normal at all :slight_smile: :neutral_face:
and the usual fun with lfo’s on start and rel points is not acting nicely.

Using Flex Machine without slicing works fine.
Also using Slicing on a Static machine works as it should.

It’s when the slices are made and triggered that the problems start happening.
i must screwing the combo of Playback and Amp settings or something even though i’ve meticulously copied the settings of other machines that are working fine.

TSTR set to off in Playback (MKI) / SRC (MKII) setup page.

I didn’t read everything you wrote, concerning topic I’ll just add it’s important to know that short samples or slices are not timestretched under 6143 samples length. (6143 = 139 ms)

2 Likes

Thanks this was def a factor and resetting FX1 FX2 to more ‘default’ states.

i finally fixed using this workaround to clear a machine as it had loads of ‘inappropriate’ settings from the previous sample and i was in a vortex i couldn’t get out of.

Not related to timestretch, settings are in SRC/Playback page, or Audio Editor Attributes (applied if TSTR is set to Auto).

I don’t know what’s this workaround for, but if you want to clear sample slots settings, just reload the sample, or load another one.

Clearing a machine is totally different, not related to sample slots settings. You can clear each page with PAGE + PLAY, reload / clear the part, copy another non modified track…

Machine settings and sample slots settings are independent (except with Auto settings for Loop and TSTR).

1 Like

Thanks for this.

So basically if wanted to start all over (never use that sample or machine setting again) with a couple of tracks of a bank and for economy, leave the machine completely default state for use again in default state, perhaps not even in that same bank. …

i need to

1: sample — clear the sample slot, deleted sample from project = yes.

2: machine — clear each page with PAGE + PLAY

3: sorry i’m totally green on use of parts and may not use them properly – i only stay on Part 1 all the time so reload / clearing it sounds risky with that in mind.

and i don’t understand what copying another track does? which track?

to be clear i dont mind workarounds or doing things long way if they work. i’m still at the stage where i use it quite basically for live and too much complication makes me nervous i’ll screw things up before i get there.

Loading another sample suffice, new sample settings are loaded too. If new sample saved settings are wrong, change them and save them.
These settings are stored in a “.ot” file in the same folder, and concern TRIM, SLICES, ATTRIBUTES.
Sample.wav
Sample.ot
You can delete that file to get initial settings. Samples without this file are loaded with initial setttings.

Seems fastest, simplest.

If you want to use default settings for all tracks, you can clear the part. Parts can be considered as kits of settings, which concern machine choice, sample assignments, track parameters, scenes…
Simpler to avoid switching them within a song if you’re not familiar with it. You can plock sample assignment (sample lock).

You can copy a non modified track to get default settings.

If you use a new bank, parts being different each bank, you have default settings. New bank = new part (part 1 by default).

Slots and project settings are the same for all banks. If you change them, it is applied to all banks.

Personalize menu settings are applied to all projects.

1 Like

That’s awesome. i appreciate the clarity very much!
got some good things to try out :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, not easy to explain and sum up, quite a few things to know!
Pretty complex, but logical.

1 Like