Slices not playing

Hi there, I’ve recorded a sample, cut it into slices and can test output using FUNC Yes on the slice (slice 2). So then I go to add it to the track at points [1] [5] [9]. I turn the nob (B) so definitely slice 2 gets assigned. I then press play, and it goes through the sequence, but zero sound.

A bit confused, must be something obvious.

I should say, this is my first attempt at slicing!

Double tap Playback (Mk1) / SRC (Mk2) and check if slices are on.

Zero sound means no sound at all? Track muted, amp volume down, scene active?

1 Like

Thanks Yes I also have set this, it is ON

Sorry, track was muted, thats the problem !! argh.
I’m still getting used to to not being able to tell if its muted.

1 Like

Why can’t you tell if it’s muted?

Because when it flashes red, my brain says that this means muted. I don’t know why but i find it confusing, there is nothing that I can see on the audi panel that clearly states it isnt muted, still finding this counter intuitive tbh

If a track’s led flashes red, the track is cued. Cue + track.

On Mk1, a solid red led means track not muted, if a track is muted the led is unlit. Yellow led means track is muted, but selected (active track).
You can also press the mixer button for an overview of mute states.

Quick mute mode shows track mutes on the 16 step buttons. (Function + Up or Down to change track modes)

1 Like

Actually tbh, i’ve no clue what this is doing, Its not playing the slice that i chose or the tune for that matter, i think i need to go back to the beginning!

Ah the mixer button - cool that really helps actually thanks

1 Like

If the track is flashing, it’s muted. This might be the reason you can’t hear it through the main out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

which is odd because event if I press FUNC and T1 and rotate between yellow and red … it stil flashes, every time! both colours

Press cue + track button.

2 Likes

a that works thanks ! what does that do…??.. i haven’t even got into cues as of yet!

It routes the track through cue outputs. Maybe you hit the button accidentially.

In the back of the manual is a list of button combinations btw.

2 Likes

sounds like I did - I think once I’ve mastered slices will move to cues maybe

1 Like

Only if you need to. Utilizing the cue outputs are only really for certain cases. You can create an fx send/return loop with the cue output and a pair of inputs. Lately, I’ve been routing percussion out of the cue outputs with the rest of the tracks going out the main outputs, then running all those into my mixer for recording. It takes some practice, but it’s not bad. You’ll get used to the various indicators and what they mean. I do like that on OT, the track light goes out when it’s muted. Digitone mute states are even more confusing…