Slices and crossfader (drums, one more time)

I think that’s a job for the
MEGABREAK OF DOOM!

Ok, I found the visual feedback, it’s (of course) in slice mode, we can see which one is playing. Now I would like to freeze this for all tracks so that I can use scenes for other duties.

No time but it doesn’t seem that complicated in fact.
Sample 1 > 64 kicks
Sample 2 > 64 snares
Sample 3 > 64 hh
etc.
Plock each sample, assign crossfader to slice, done.

Hmmm, I think you misread my question :wink: That’s exactly what I’m doing and it works great, no issues. What I’m looking for is a way to “freeze” the current state of scene-dependent parameters so that when I change to other scenes the current slice start will not be changed back to the default sl=1

My point was rather than use the crossfader to select the “kit” why not use the start knob?
Inverse p-lock trick?
Then you can easy see the slice number, of course it won’t allow you to change across multiple tracks simultaneously as crossfader would, but it also give the flexibility of changing different sounds per track independently.

I get what you want to do and there isn’t a way to do it (as far as I can tell) unless you use midi loopback to lock crossfader position but then you are tieing up the scenes which you don’t want to do.

Edit: It is a bit hacky but using combo of cf to select slice, slice view to see which is selected, inverse p-lock trick to fix the p-locks for each step/track (hint use trig copy for speed)

3 Likes

Yes you can use crossfader to select and change slice number on each track indeed.
I usually use 1 or 2 tracks for drums, but if you use 8 tracks, it can be annoying.

Another solution is to use midi loopback, set all tracks on the same midi channel, and use CC17 to control all tracks.
Control All for OT! Plockable.
Tested, works like a charm.

1 Like

Yes, in fact I realise that’s what I need, I just searched for it actually: “control all” like I have on the Digitone.

When I hear that kit 37 is the one I want as default for all scenes for this jam, I could then do a “control all” to set sl start position for all tracks (I never use all 8, I have T8 as master and T7 as transition trick/resample/FlexiPickup. 5 tracks for drums is mostly what I do on the OT, I like to do perc on the DN. (Thinking about a AR though, G.A.S. is lurking again :frowning: )

copy Scenes 1(A) and 9(B) across all the other 2 — 8 and 10 — 16 correspondingly. save it as a template. this is your starting point

Don’t have much to say about drumz on OT, but anyway… Call me crazy, but I sometimes wish we’d just lock all the old topics and start over. :slight_smile: People ask the same questions all the time and there’s people here that respond in not much time, it’s more interesting to talk to people than search by yourself… Just a thought, probably not a popular one, I don’t know…

2 Likes

Sorry but I did my research, spent at least an hour before I decided to ask here, and I apologized for it. I also help other guys out when I can. This was not out of laziness. If my original question has been asked and answered before, I was unable to find the topic, and politely asked if someone could point me to the thread if there was one. There’s no comprensive FAQ and my name is no disco so I can’t afford a specific I Me Mine thread just for myself.

1 Like

In no way was I accusing you of not searching.
Those were just my thoughts I’ve had anyway well before today, not pertaining to you in particular. I acknowledged I didn’t know if it’d be a popular thought, and I though you might agree even. My point was personally I don’t care if people ask the same questions.

And really you can do or at least try whatever, If you wanted a Pinup’s advanced OT questions I’m not so sure it would be shut down. I’m pretty sure just “Adavanced OT Questions” would stick around. Lots of people learn from and appreciate the noob question thread, it’s been acknowledged by a lot of other users, it has over 9,000 views…

Anyway sorry to be off topic, carry on. :slightly_smiling_face:

500+ posts in a thread with an undefined subject is not an efficient way to find an answer to a specific question so I’m not going to start one and don’t think that would be reasonable.

Anyway, I don’t think I formulated my question well enough, my bad. But we got there anyway: it’s the missing “control all” function that comes close enough in terms of efficiency, if we can’t “freeze” (like: save in new scene) a parameter set that was modded by the crossfader. Unless I missed the topic where “freeze parameters” has been discussed.

I stumbled upon a weindness in the process (not sure if we can call this a bug or a feature though): when we set the start=sl point with the crossfader, stop somewhere in the middle and then adjust manually the start=sl value in an attempt to match that position, the sl value starts counting from the current position. If that position is, say, 15, then sl=2 will be sl 16, not 2 as I expected.

(I’m NOT p-locking here, because I want this new value to apply to all non-plocked trigs so that it becomes default)

In your initial post you haven’t mentioned slot mode, which seems also quite a valid variant to start drum jamming quickly. All you need to do is to make a kind of template project where the slot lists are filled with variations of drum sounds. Just organize them in blocks of, for example, 8 samples each being its own kit. This way you can use the trig keys like a standard drum machine. IMHO a quite direct and hassle-free option to use - even for someone who never touched an OT before (if you let someone else jam on it).

Pros:

• easy to switch between kits (just press page to get to the next 16 samples)
  • records on a single track with sound locks
  • mix and match whatever sounds you want
  • drum machine like usage
  • noob friendly
  • no need to start with 64 kits (2-3 kits may already be enough to start)

Cons:

• not as many possibilities as sample chains
  • initial set up may take longer (not really sure about that)
  • ???
2 Likes

Yes indeed, when in slot mode it’s easy to set up a custom kit by tweaking the slice start param’s of each sample to taste.

One of the great advantages of using chains is that you can have a huge amount of samples readily available. I load them in statics, right now have some 50Mb of samples loaded for instant access without using up any RAM. That’s 320 samples on 5 tracks in 5 static machines using up 5 slots. When I crossfade the samples while playing, the OT doesn’t choke at all, I expected trouble it just works fine, even if I do it high speed. I’m discovering chains, I find it an amazing tool!

3 Likes

It may also depend on material and believe it or not, slice number !!

2 Likes

Sure, I’ll probably encounter the limitations at some point, but I tried all slice numbers and until now I didn’t hear clicks. Do faster cards matter? (EDIT: I read the thread you linked to, but it was not very informative concerning card-speed) Mine is the stock one. I bought my OT new in january’19, so I guess I have the latest generation of CF cards installed.

Not as much in playback terms - i doubt it is that significant - certainly when uploading though and projects load faster

i doubt it’ll be much faster than 266x which seems to be ample as far as :3lektron: are concerned, though these will be hard to come by

1 Like

As per the manual:

Cards supporting UDMA and at least 133x (~20MB/s) for both reads and writes are compatible with the Octatrack MKII. Cards must be FAT16 or FAT32 formatted, preferably FAT32. Up to 64 GB Compact Flash cards are supported

The Sandisk Extreme Pro card advertises 150MB/sec and this has been tested and proven correct (I am into photography as well and CF card speed is a frequently discussed topic). That’s about 7 times faster than the stock card… and they go for approx 50€ for the 32GB version, and 90€ for the 64GB. I’ll probably get one of those.

why though, if you look through the CF cards thread you’ll find absolutely no correlating evidence that the OT is faster in any notable terms let alone those factors, it’ll be faster loading stuff from your computer for sure, but the calculation i did showed that in the worst case scenario, the OT should not hit a bottleneck with a stock card if all possible i/o was happening - this is what you would of course expect the manufacturer to be cognisant of when they ship these stock cards, it’s not going to show up the OT, that would be embarrassing - that’s not to say that later CF cards are not more robust potentially and there’s the speed bump writing from a PC - each to their own, but it’s not going to be 7 times faster where it counts, be prepared for that (or read through the thread for anecdotal feedback)

2 Likes