Slice questions

me neither. Never lost anything :thinking:

1 Like

Just had a chance to try this. It makes no difference to my manual playback of the slices, nor the fact they are all incorrect.

Thanks for all the help so far, by the way. At the moment I will assume the answer is “solar flares”, and try again from scratch when I have the time.

There definitely seems to be something weird with part- and pattern saving behaviours. I always save parts because I am certain early on in OT life I have lost part changes when assuming ‘save project’ would cover it. YMMV seems the perfect internet thing to say here.

Weird, I thought the LFO might have been modulating the parameter even without the sequencer running.

1 Like

Yes, but if the LFO was changing the start parameter when the settings were set to slice, then all it would do is play different slices. That’s how I left it. I don’t get how the slices themselves would be different.

All the project contains is three such tracks, using one pattern each, that have overlapping content in this way. T8 is master for effects.

I set up scene A as the default and scene B with every volume faded down… just to learn the basics of Scenes. I am a newbie with this box!

My next step would have been to use T5 to T7 in a similar way to T1 to T3, but on a different bank.

EDIT: Just read that other long thread and it confirms that saving a project saves parts. In fact, it is better not to ever save parts to keep a clearer idea of what state your work is in. And, secondly, because it’s too easy to hit [Func] + [CUE] and accidentally reload a part.

2 Likes

:content:

I don’t think so after almost 5 years with MKI.
Unless you use oftenly part reload. It can be efficient in live conditions, but I prefer to know by heart what parameters I modified, and revert them to their position.

OK well to take a break from my gig prep, I went back to the Octatrack and set up a new project with a new sound on T1. This time I sliced it manually into 16. Added some LFOs and effects. Set up T8 as master and added reverb. On a second track I added a long background sound with a one-shot trigger.

I didn’t save the part, but did save the sample settings and the project. Rebooted. The project worked fine.

So I went back to the problem project and it is still in the same state. This time around, I noticed that the severe audio glitches were not just happening at slice boundaries. I had assumed the slice start and stop had slipped from zero crossings, but the issue is worse. Even in the middle of a slice there will be glitches.

So I copied the file onto my computer… and it plays fine. The file itself is not damaged. OT is just very confused about it.

Not sure what this tells me. Nothing really. :wink:

1 Like

:woozy_face:
Weird. What can you tell more about this track?
Is it named with funky accents?

What about the CF card you’re using? Is it the one provided?

I never had such kind of problem.
But definitely had my share of other wtf moments :tongue:

I disagree. If you want to experiment with different scene settings or new sounds or effects and find something you like it is very helpful to save the part first since you can always go back to that state if the next experiments don’t work. Maybe a bug but I had no problems with glitches on OT like what you mention here.

Yes, provided CF in a new unit barely used. No weird accents or anything! Heck, I am well used to DOS naming conventions. Totally standard file, since I check and convert everything before it hits a device. (Have five field recorders, etc. so am used to the drill.)

1 Like

My understanding is that you can still experiment with different parts without explicitly saving them. They are all being saved anyway. The “save” function is more like a bookmark or versioning feature.

I guess everyone will weight the pros and cons on this, like everything else in the OT. It supports many ways of working.

My main concern was to eliminate possible causes for the corruption I experienced.

I haven’t seen anyone else ask, but what format are your samples? (16 bit or 24 bit, 44.1kHz, wav or aiff, mono/stereo)

16-bit 44.1 kHz WAVs, mono or stereo depending on my usage (hits or backing tracks).

At a Part reload those new settings will be gone. If you experiment and find some new settings that you want you really have to save them otherwise they are lost at a Part reload. Why would you do a Part reload then? If you mess something up like assigning a wrong sound to a track or accidentally delete some scenes etc…
Anyway I find it very useful as an undo feature or temp snapshot save.