Slice Mute with Crossfader

Hi everyone,
Is there a way to mute parts of a sliced loop with the crossfader ?
Thanks !

What do you mean with parts of it?

You can shorten the amp envelope (scene lock amp hold and release), or quickly turn down amp volume or track level with the crossfader, maybe use and lfo to cut down amp volume at the right point (or use the filter for that) and use the crossfader to “activate” that.

Might be easier to duplicate the slice and prepare everything with audio editor (trim it) and then change to that slice with the crossfader.

3 Likes

Yes sorry, wrong choice of words : admitting I have a sliced drum loop, I would have like to know if could mute the kicks in this loop using the crossfader, just using one track.

What do you mean by “change to that slice with the crossfader” ? Sorry it always was pretty abstract for me to read about octatrack process ahah. Thanks for your help.

you may use ‘sample chains’ technique for that. it’s gonna be a chain of 2 identical samples apart from kick which needs to be just silence as the 2nd member.

2 Likes

Yes you are right, it’s the simplest.
Thanks you much :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is clever, never thought about it this way- lfo depth on scene w/ lfo designer opens up a lot of possibilities actually. Thanks for this.

1 Like

Several possibilities. FILL trig condition would have my préférence, because you can even replace your kick by another sound having FILL condition and -23 microtiming.

Don’t forget scenes have priority over plocks.
Scene A : VOL = 0
Scene B : nothing concerning VOL
Plocks kicks with VOL = -63

That way you mute kicks with scene B.
Works with filter or any parameter, like lfo depth.

A silent slice with kick can be also interesting to cut it from half crossfader position.

1 Like

Probably a few ways to do it, I’d do it this way:

2 Likes

Sample chain. One slice is your loop and the next slice is the loop without kick. Scroll through slices with the crossfader.
Probaply the easiest way.

Did you make the loop yourself? Can you record it again and turn it into a sample chain with kick and without kick?
If not, I’d quickly cut (scene with amp volume 0) or highpass filter the kick (filter, base parameter locked to scene so it highpasses the loop).

Alternatively you can just p-lock amp vol or highpass filter, maybe on two different patterns to easily switch between both versions.

1 Like