Slice Machine snapping to Zero Crossing?

So did I miss hear this? I thought I heard that the slice machine would snap to zero crossing but that is def not my experience. Am I missing something?

1 Like

Did you record a bit and check the waveform?
Depending on the instrument/sound, zero crossing might just not be enough, see Pops in slice mode - #4 by Jeanne

3 Likes

I recorded an ascending scale using the keyboard fold into one sample. I was trying to get a random melody with random locks in slice mode. They def did not snap to zero. Not even close. This isn’t like a transient pop situation this is like some of the slices are in the middle where there is no sound. I recorded them with a beat and the met cause i was thinking maybe if i did that it would snap to the grid but no luck.

2 Likes

I think you might be misinterpreting the concept of snapping to zero crossing. It doesn’t make the slices snap to the beginning of pieces of sound, but to the point where waveforms go through zero. This happens continuously throughout every sound.

The only way to know if snapping to zero crossing is happening is by checking if clicks are going on…

5 Likes

Probably snaps to the closest zero-crossing next to theoreticall grid…

2 Likes

Digitakt will always slice in a preset grid and you cannot move those slices like you can on a lot of samplers. The snapping to zero will just make sure those slices are hitting at the zero crossing of your wave form. Because if you dont slice at a zero point you will get heavy pops and clicks.

If you want the DT to make perfect chops, your sample must be perfect lined to the grid before you upload/record.

2 Likes

Yeah, again, not really having an issue with pops and clicks. And my understanding of snapping to zero crossing comes mainly from the OT which i’ve never had an issue with. But this just seems to arbitrarily put the slices points evenly across a grid. Again, maybe I’m missing something but that’s not what I thought was supposed to happen.

Yes this is exactly what it does / is meant to do. It maps an even number of slices across the grid. As of now there’s no way to change the slice start points. Has nothing to do with zero crossing at the waveform level.

2 Likes

It’s not arbitrary, it slices at the specific beat grid you choose every time. Many samplers have the option to “slice by beat”. That’s what the digitakt does. It ignores the waveform(other than the zero crossing snap) and slices to the beat grid you choose.

1 Like

ohhhhhhh kay. Thanks guys. I was miss understanding. Thanks for clearing that up.

It would be sick if it could but I don’t think it’s possible on the digitakt even with an update. So they implemented the beat grid option. Or maybe they didn’t want to cut into OT sales, who knows

1 Like

I have OT and DT. I didn’t notice a different behavior with Slice Grid, appart from the fact that zero-crossing isn’t optional on DT.

Option please, because zero-crossing can be annoying for wavetable stuff (it changes tuning), lfos on slices, linear locks.

3 Likes