Slice machine - no editing?

Literally me in the M:S :upside_down_face:

Octatrack: …How you doing? Just heard your want to mangle some samples, right?

Genius.

I’d rather say the logic way since ages…

1 Like

Well, it never occurred to me :thinking:

I wasn’t shure if this was obvious for everyone, since I’m a new Digitakt user.
I like to make samplechains inside the DT because it is faster than dealing with a computer and Transfer.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t think there’s anything to improve, the slice machine is a fantastic compromise between hardware limitations and the slicing action we’ve wanted for years. As others have said, if you want more complex slice work, there are many alternatives out there, but the Digitakt way of doing things works great if you put a little thought into things beforehand. The Digitakt is not an MPC or an SP-404 Mk2, it’s a Digitakt, and the slice machine adds so much potential for incredibly musical results in a controlled environment. Load a breakbeat that’s been looped and warped in Ableton Live, place your trigs and go nuts. Then temp save, go even more nuts, then reload the temp save and you’re back home. It’s ludicrously simple and satisfying. Not every piece of gear is for everyone, and that’s okay.

2 Likes

The only thing I don’t care for is normalization, especially if I went out of my way to use transfer when bringing my samples in to avoid it. :expressionless:

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t really use the slice machine for anything but loops. If I want to chop something up a sample then I’ll parameter lock the start points on steps and copy and paste trigs. But lately, I’ve mostly been using my Digitakt to sequence my other samplers. I have a Zoom Sampletrak and more recently I’ve got an SP-404 mk2. Chopping is a lot more straightforward on either of those.

3 Likes

nice workaround @muomi - might work is most scenarios! thanks!

1 Like