Sleep thread

An anecdotal second for CBD and exercise (10 minutes of high intensity bodyweight workout 3 times a week works for me).

I also supplement with Magnesium Bisglycinate and Collagen Hydrolysate.

Sleep like a baby most nights.

(and of course everyone’s physiology is different, so it’s obviously a case of figuring out what works for you)

I would like to put better limits on my screen time.
Though I already ditched my smartphone.
Easy does it.

2 Likes

I work with sleep. I’m not a therapist, but I do work with them every day and meet people with sleep issues frequently in my line of work.

No one’s sleep need is the same as anyone else’s so there’s no single fix that works for all. But essentially, if you learn your body rhythm, then you can do what’s possible in your life situation to adapt your exposure to light, exercise, food and maybe most importantly, find ways to dampen your fight and flight system. When you brain’s wired up, your body literally doesn’t think it’s time to sleep and you’ll stay awake whether you like it or not.

Screens and their light are not inherently bad for sleep. The amount of lux from them make no difference. It’s what you do with them that matters, and not uncommonly a cause that you’re in stress mode. But the level of light itself is not the main concern.

4 Likes

I will make a list of things that I need to change. The first will be the phone rule. 3 weeks you say and consistency is the key I guess.

Yeah its logic, but my issue is emotionally driven. I get a strong emotion to avoid sleep when it’s time.

2 Likes

It does sound like working with your stress system might be worth trying, if it’s your brain that gets in the way for sleep.

Which is very common, by the way, and there are things to try to dampen your arousal system if that’s what’s keeping you up.

This is where I found that tea to be effective. Works better than other “sleepytime” teas that I’ve tried.

The tart cherry juice has trytophan and melatonin.

1 Like

It’s too early for sure! I never wake up with a lot of energy whenever I wake up, but definitely not around 5.30 to 6 a clock.

Okay, that sounds amazing! 8 a clock its more reasonable that will lead to better productivity!

Thanks for the book tip and I have heard about Valerian. Will check that up for sure!

This is my main task. The reptile brain is really good at this and its so hard to go against it. I tried to do a body scan the other night and that was amazing, even if my brain is all over the place :grinning:

1 Like

Exercise before bed. Like cleaning around the house or a bunch of pushups. Shower and read something relaxing

Weed can also help

1 Like

My stress level is very high at day when I am at work. But I don’t have a stressful job. But I put stress on myself because I want to do a good job. And I have a high stress level in general right now so it doesn’t need much to trigger my stress.

I guess meditation/yoga and body scans can dampen my arousal system. What else can I do?

1 Like

I will give it a try!

Body scans. Breathing exercises. Muscle relaxations. And meditation.

Found tried and true by science and evidence. It does take some effort, but the success ratio is good.

2 Likes

Good tips, will try exept the last point :grinning:

1 Like

In lieu of weed, try Chamomile :wink:

1 Like

I have tried Yoga, meditation and body scans and know that they really work, but often I don’t let myself do it. But body scans are so easy to do so I will start with that!

1 Like

Exercise literally drains you from stress. Walks are fine but a good run or similar, washes stress away. If you work your body, there’s less room for stress.

Meditation, body scans and breathing require regularity. Practice every day if you can. But if you do, your brain rewires itself in time and your brain’s signal system is less likely to react to your stress triggers.

Try both if possible

Okay, this is really interesting! I have done the exact opposite. It feels like I need to rest in front of the tv or something in the sofa because of all the stress I have. Letting my brain get some rest.

But what you are saying can change a lot of my situation. I will give it a try.

Does exercise also affect anxiety in the same way?

1 Like

If you’re going to do just one thing in that field, body scans are usually the most effective. Breathing exercises are a close second.

Practice them throughout the day and in time, you’ll find them to be more and more effective.

1 Like

Okay that sounds great. I will switch between the two.

1 Like