Sleep thread

So here is my issue. I am almost always sleep deprived, especially when I work a lot. When I work I get around 5-6 hours of sleep and I feel exhausted all day long. I need around 8-9 hours of sleep.

The reason for this is that I get to bed way too late, around midnight and then I need to go up around 5.30 to 6.00 in the morning. One reason for this is that I always have more energy in the evening from 6 or 7 to 11 or midnight. Another reason is that I have a lot of anxiety that keeps me up. When its time to go to bed my brain wants to avoid this by any means.

I have tried to solve this issue for many years, but somehow it always fails, every night.

Does some else have the same issue? Do you have any tips on how to solve it?

The thought behind this thread is that we can inspire each other to reach better sleeping habits and so on.

Cheers.

13 Likes

Are you active/ do exercise? My sleep problems clear right up when I ensure to exercise.

As far as anxiety, professional counseling is always a great thing, sleep deprivation or no.

Other practical advice: leave your phone out of the bedroom and give yourself an hour without it before target sleep time; lemongrass tea; weighted blanket.

17 Likes

Sounds very much like my life. No matter how much sleep I want to get, it’s not uncommon for me to wake after 5-6 hours, and after my brain starts whirring, it impossible to sleep again and I have to get up.

I thought I had it under control at one point with cbd, but despite continuing with that, I’m back to the old pattern.

4 Likes

Try this

5 Likes

You might have a lot more luck with this question on Reddit. Many more people participate there and there is bound to be sub reddits dedicated to similar challenges.

2 Likes

I am active when I work 8 hours for everything from 2 to 5 days a week at a daycare. But I am generally not so active when I am not working because I am too tired basically. I don’t exercise at all besides some walks and I bicycle to my work and studio.

Yeah, I am basically phone addicted and always want to wind down with the phone in the bed before sleep. I will try to skip that in the evening.

2 Likes

Yeah, its really hard sleep again ones the light hits the eye, especially this time of the year. The brain really wants to process a lot of stuff when that happens and so on.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

You might want to consider a little weight training - home exercises are more than adequate - but otherwise thats not bad.

Our home has a very strict rule of no devices (aside from ereaders) in the bedrooms after bedtime. Try to wind down somewhere else and cut it off an hour before bed.

Good luck! Sleep deprivation is no joke.

4 Likes

Yeah. Avoiding sleep. I know that one.

I also wake up early in the morning super tired. Tell myself, tonight I must go to bed in time.
The evening comes, the kids go to bed, and by then the last thing I want to do is sleep.
Same thing over and over.
I get plenty of exercise during the day. Go to work by bike. About 40km almost every day.
Doesn’t matter. I feel like it is boring to give up and go to bed. But I really know I need the sleep.

4 Likes

This is a major problem in modern society. The screen fucks with your natural rhythms. Try a good audio book or podcast an hour or so before bed, instead of looking at your phone or watching something on a screen.

3 Likes

I want to get out on walks more often. But my anxiety often gets in the way and I stay home instead even if I know that I will feel better if I just get outside of my door.

From May to September I Longboard with both Electric and regular which is a good exercise, but it’s not a regular activity.

I will try the no phone rule. I have done it before and I can keep up with it 3-4 days and then I am back into my old habits. It’s really hard to kick old habits, but I will try again!

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve tried taking a walk outside in the morning, and in the evening close to sunset - the theory being that these exposures to daylight help set your body clock. Can’t say if how effective these attempts were.

My exercise is mostly calisthenics 3-5 times a week, depending on exercise programming

A shot of tart cherry juice and Twinings Sleep+ tea seems to help as well

2 Likes

Ive heard its a rule of thumb that habits take about 3 weeks to change. So do keep at it.

Funny thing about sleep is that we work so much better with it, so all that time not sleeping and spending it “doing something” is actually less worthwhile than if we were to just sleep. (I assume you know this; I’m just talking now.)

You summarize it very well! It’s so frustrating to never make any progress even if you really want it above everything else. It feels like I am afraid to sleep even if I know that it’s so amazing when I turn off the lights and sleep.

1 Like

Sounds that the only issue is that you have to wake up too early for work. Everyone seems to have a natural daily cycle of energy.
Sounds strange but i miss lockdown for 1 reason: i could sleep till 8:00 instead of 6:45 because i had to work from home and didn’t need to travel. Never felt so good and productive.
Society should adapt to mans personal preference.

3 Likes

No screens in the evening is essential for me.

Besides all that, individual sleep rhythms really are a thing. If you’re a night person and have to get up early for work you’re basically f*cked. This is a very good book on the current scientific knowlegde about sleep: [PDF] Why We Sleep: The New Science of Sleep and Dreams Book by Matthew Walker (2017) Read Online or Free Downlaod

I have problems with winding down stress and staying asleep at night because of a medical condition. Valerian pills before bedtime help me a lot.

I hear you man! Yeah the screen with unlimited information and 1000000 of tv shows whenever you want to watch it really screws you up.

Yeah, I will go for the podcast route and see if it works.

1 Like

Exercise works wonders, and try some CBD oil.

1 Like

A scientist that’s an expert on sleep said exactly this. That it helps to get daylight after the morning and that will regulate your body clock.

I have that issue under some periods that usually last 2-3 months. But except that I am able to sleep pretty quickly when I turn off the lights. The hard thing for me is to get to that point of letting myself go to sleep.