SL MkIII keyboard controller from Novation

Are there any updates on the horizon? When was the last update to the machine?

I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting. It does not have nearly the Circuits priority for Novation, despite the high price tag. The unit that sells the most is the one getting the most love.

I’d be curious as well. I remember having sent it back because it wouldn’t handle midi feedback on CCs. Did they add this support at some point ?

Hi everyone, a quick question, is it possible to have zones ( ie:splits ) fixed to notes on the 61 slmkIII ?
It seems that I’m only able to create from C1 to C6, if I use the octave shift the zone will still cover the whole keyboard…

What I would like to achieve is zone 1 : C-2 to C0, zone 2 : C#0 to B4, zone 3 C5 to C8…Is that possible ?

Thanks a lot.

Please vote up this post and/or put your wishes and ideas in if wanted:

My SL61 MK3 screens stay blank. Warranty is gone for a long time, so I opened it.
22 screws to remove, some are well hidden, then hooks to carefully push with adapted tools (I fortunately own a phone repair toolkit, it was handy).
11 plate screws hold the keys, but I could have let them in place.

Here are some pics of the guts, in case you fancy it ^^

I contacted the support, we’ll see if they are ok with sending some motherboards over…

2 Likes

Is anyone here using their SL Mk3 with Ableton?

Until today, I’ve mostly used mine with hardware synths. Everything works extremely well out of the box.

In Ableton, if I hit the InControl button, I get controls across the displays for Ableton synths and FX. For third party synths, only a single knob seems to work and it changes if I touch anything with the mouse in Ableton. This is the case with Pigments and the Korg OPSIX plugin.

You need to use the Configure button on the device in Ableton and then move all controllers you want to control.

Then hit Configure again and right click the device > save as default. This way any time you add that plugin again, it will have these controls configured already.

3 Likes

Thanks! Now I’m back to extremely satisfied with the SL Mk3:

• Standalone MIDI control? Excellent!
  • Ableton integration? Excellent!
  • Keybed? Great!
2 Likes

Any suggestions for a midi keyboard with a better Keybed? Coming from a Prophet 5 Rev 4 with its Fatar, this SL isn’t feeling that great.

I had roughly a year gap between trading my Virus TI2 61 (Fatar) away and acquiring the SL61 Mk3. To my fingers, the SL61 feels good enough.

Modals have Fatar keybeds, but don’t seem to quite measure up to the Virus.

If your budget is tight, this is a good thread for finding used keyboards with good action:

1 Like

Thanks for that. Think I want something with a Fatar. The SL is nice for sure though. To be honest, it’s a bit overkill for my needs really, just need a keybed and that’s it.

1 Like

The NI Komplete S-series uses Fatar keybeds. It’s a big part of the reason why I still have my fairly old S49 mk1. The keybed feels as nice as any Fatar keybed I’ve used.

3 Likes

oh no!
i was under the impression that the mkii uses the same keybed as the mki and mkii versions and was thinking about upgrading, mostly because of the up to date software and editor, but also cv.
i was told it feels about the same by somebody,
seems like this is not the case…

I’ve not tried a mk1 or mk2 that I believe had Fatar beds, so it’s hard to comment, and I know some Fatar feel better than others. But I do know the mk3 doesn’t feel as nice as the Fatar on my Prophet 5 rev4. Not sure if that helps.

2 Likes

thank you! guess i will just have to try it out.

(edit: improved photo)

I found something that fits in the blank spot on the 61.

4 Likes

When was the last time Novation added something to the firmware?

Give this a look. It’s what fits the best to what you are looking for.

Note though that it has been around forever, and so i hope that maybe there will be something to replace it that might be even better, perhaps with a poly-aftertouch keybed and MIDI 2.0, and better screen and the rest. Maybe from Novation, or another company.

Speaking of having been around forever – consider the Analog Keys if you like the Elektron sequencer.

1 Like

Can anyone tell me if Novation added support of MIDI CC feedback the last few years ?
This is the reason why I sent it back originally, it was an incredible omission in my opinion. If they fixed it, I would buy it in a second.
Thanks !