Skulpt from Modal Electronics

I got news from Modal: Preset exporting will be coming in an app update soon. In the meantime you can dump patches via sysex, using sysex librarian and other sysex managers, just load up a patch and it will be sent via sysex from the MIDI OUT :diddly:

Another cool feature I discovered, you can set USB MIDI THRU on from the app settings. This will enable you to use the SKULPT as a DIN MIDI interface for the USB connected device (iOS / Android / computers)! Pretty cool.

Best demo yet. I could listen to that first patch all day.

Hey thanks! Iā€™ll try the syx dump feature later tonight, if I get it working Iā€™ll add the syx files to the soundcloud post. My fave synth right now no doubt.

I noticed a new update for the SKULPT firmware is out, along with app updates. Release notes mention something about sequencer quantization, which is a nice addition and makes the onboard sequencer even more flexicle and powerful. Canā€™t wait to update the app and give it a go later tonight :diddly:

A new review is also out:

EDIT: Careful with the update! It works but seems to have issuesā€¦ Somehow I lost two sequences I was working with. Backup all patches and sequences to the app on a regular basis in order to keep your data safe :diddly:

EDIT2: Well, this is oddā€¦ Turned the box on without the app just now, and seems the sequences are still in the memory and now recall fine without being connected to the app? But thatā€™s not the reason for this edit, I just saw that sequencer quantize can also be set directly from the synth itself by holding down PRESET and turning the TEMPO encoder! The 16 lights show currently selected quantization in four stages: OFF / 32nd / 16th / 8th. Good stuff!

2 Likes

Iā€™d misunderstood this to begin withā€¦ I just presumed it was something to do with note quantisation. But Iā€™m really pleased to be wrong on that as I think this update will go some way to mitigating my ham-fisted playing which will make the sequencer much more usable for me. Of course, I could just practice more but what sort of maniac would want to do that???

Considering just how awful the internal keyboard is to play, Iā€™m happy the quantization option is now onboard. Now I find I cn program new sequences on the synth even without a proper MIDI keyboard.

1 Like

How does this fare against something like Nave?
Also, how it is in the evolving bass dept?

Please elaborate - what is ā€œevolving bassā€?

You have an 8 part modmatrix and can use 2 different LFOs + modulation envelope with the matrix, so you can certainly achieve some evolving sounds.

Never tried nave myself, but if it is very similar to what you can do with a blofeld, wellā€¦ the modulation capabilities of the blofeld are more extensive than SKULPT. So you might feel more limited in that regard. OTOH I find programming sounds on the SKULPT a lot more intuitive thanks to the UI.

2 Likes

Is it now available? Thomann doesnt have themā€¦

Thomann donā€™t sell everything.

Andertons in the UK have them in stock:

Gear4Music have a them coming in:

And a B-Stock in stock at a discount:

Seems that everywhere only has the black version.

1 Like

Just woke up and thought this said ā€œModel: Skulptā€

o__o

3 Likes

VST3/AU plugin is now out for this, by the way.

1 Like

I got one when the second batch came along. UI can feel a bit weird but the sequencer, and lack of quantize, was a disappointment. However itā€™s has a new firmware update including quantize. It can sound huge and has a few happy quirks too.

Any one else digging their baby Modal?

Editā€¦ I posted this in the wrong thread hence why it makes little sense! Glad other folks are enjoying theirs too!

Iā€™m fairly sure the white ones were the first production run for the Kickstarter clients. Iā€™m sure I saw a quote form Modal saying all the production models will be black.

From memory, white was the original choice but during the Kickstarter the surveyed backers and black won the poll comfortably. They agreed to run with both in the end for the Kickstarter.

1 Like

I much prefer the white one personally. Couldnā€™t find one new, but I found a used one which arrived yesterday. Only really had a chance to update the firmware and mess with the presets so far, but I like it. I do wish it had class compliant USB Audio, though, like the Model:Samples.

2 Likes

Loving the OT Mk 3 graphics :joy::joy::joy:

I know I donā€™t need a M:S butā€¦ I really need a M:S. I bet itā€™s as cool to play as it looks isnā€™t it?

3 Likes

Agreed the white looks cooler than the black. I guess thatā€™s democracy tho!

I like the black livery myself.

I like my SKUPLT so much that I went ahead and bought replacement rubberized encoders for it. A pity the DJTT encoders sit a bit high in the shafts, bothering my OCD a little, but other than that the new encoders feel slightly more playable :nyan:

So is it worth getting one have people got their verdicts out on this, I wanted the argon8 but they donā€™t have just the module so guessing this would work, would be mainly used ITB however